PDA

View Full Version : Refinish mahogany deck myself?

dennis thompson
04-21-2016, 9:28 PM
I just bought a house with a mahogany deck that need refinishing. Is that a DIY project? If yes, what would you use to finish it?
Thanks

Eric Schmid
04-22-2016, 12:48 AM
Definitely a job you can do yourself. Two step prep; cleaner then brightener. Sanding at your discretion. Once the deck is dry, usually after a few dry days, get a good hardwood stain and follow the instructions. Just make sure you do not allow excess stain to dry on the surface. Most stains require wiping after 20 minutes or so to remove any excess.

Don't stain in direct sunlight or while the deck is still is still hot from direct sun. Expect to stain every year to keep the appearance.

I used Penofin for many years and it is a good product. In the last few years I have switched to Armstrong Clark. It's really an amazing product if you have access to it. Whatever brand you chose, make sure you are using a hardwood formula with high solids content.

Chris Hachet
04-22-2016, 7:20 AM
I used to sell commercial paint product for a living, and I wil add one thing-less is more with deck stains. I have seen people try to build up a varnish like surface and that just does not work out.

Do not use a semi transparent or solid color stain, they will fail miserably, as will paint-A good transparent deck stain is your friend.

Regards,

Chris

Jason Roehl
04-23-2016, 7:55 AM
Do not use a semi transparent or solid color stain, they will fail miserably, as will paint-A good transparent deck stain is your friend.

Unlike Chris, I used to actually apply all these products for a living. They will all fail eventually. The transparent stains will fail the quickest (6 months to 2 years), but their failure mode doesn't mean a lot of extra prep to reapply.

As you add more opacity, the product will last longer, provided it can also withstand the scuffs from being walked on.

You didn't say what the finish is or looks like on what's there. If you really want to guarantee the best possible results, I would strip the deck. Use a product that contains sodium hydroxide (go to a paint store and get deck stripper). Follow the directions. It will be a little pricey. After a few days of drying (you have to scrub and rinse the stripper), go over the deck with a random orbit sander and 80 grit. Then you can apply the finish of your choice. Since you say it's mahogany, this would be a case where I would want to see the wood, so transparent or a lighter-toned semi-transparent may be the way to go. With those products, you can clean and re-apply every few years for a while, but eventually you'll have to strip it again for the best look.