PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shocks

Peter Stahl
04-21-2016, 7:40 PM
I put new shocks on the rear of my 2008 Nissan Sentra after doing the struts on the front. Had the Struts on first and the car was quieter because one of the old ones made noise. Thought I'd do the shocks too, very easy a bolt at the top and one at the bottom. Now the car sounds like a old pickup with a loose tailgate. No idea where the noise is coming from. Anyone have a idea or had this happen before?

Leo Graywacz
04-21-2016, 8:05 PM
You sure they're the correct shocks?

Peter Stahl
04-21-2016, 8:15 PM
Definitely.

Malcolm Schweizer
04-21-2016, 8:32 PM
Just a thought- new shocks may have put the rear suspension at a slightly different angle and highlighted the fact that your control arm bushings are worn. ...or check to be sure you torqued the shock bolts really well.

Myk Rian
04-21-2016, 9:00 PM
Make sure it isn't the exhaust system bangin away.

Peter Stahl
04-22-2016, 6:28 AM
I'll try re-torquing the bolts and if this doesn't help I'll put the old shocks back on and see if the noise goes away. Thanks for the replies.

Jerome Stanek
04-22-2016, 6:49 AM
Had the same problem on my dil's Cobalt changed back to the old ones and sound went away.

Matt Day
04-22-2016, 7:26 AM
Had the same problem on my dil's Cobalt changed back to the old ones and sound went away.

That doesn't solve the problem of needing to replace worn shock/strut though.

Personally if it were me, I'd pose the question to a group of auto enthusiasts instead of ww'ers. In my case there's a suburu forester forum I use as well as a much larger Impreza group. These guys live and breathe Subaru and I'm sure would know.

Not sure about Cobalts and Sentras.

Jerome Stanek
04-22-2016, 12:51 PM
That doesn't solve the problem of needing to replace worn shock/strut though.

Personally if it were me, I'd pose the question to a group of auto enthusiasts instead of ww'ers. In my case there's a suburu forester forum I use as well as a much larger Impreza group. These guys live and breathe Subaru and I'm sure would know.

Not sure about Cobalts and Sentras.

The shocks weren't bad but the rear springs were broken so while I was replacing them I thought I would replace the shocks. Just getting it ready to sell as it was not reliable in the winter when she worked the night shift.

Anthony Whitesell
04-22-2016, 1:34 PM
I found the folks over at NissanClub.com to be very knowledgeable and a little die hard, but that can be a good thing sometimes.

Peter Stahl
04-23-2016, 6:52 AM
Well the fix was simple, I thought I double checked all the bolts & nuts but I guess I should have triple checked because I missed one. Thanks again for the replies.