PDA

View Full Version : Table or Bench? (Pics & Long...)

John Miliunas
09-18-2005, 1:57 PM
A while back, my #1 client (LOML) was looking through one of my WW books and spotted a coffee table. The design is by Thomas Stender and keeps with the contemporary style she is planning for in our home. But alas, it wasn't a table she was after, but rather, a hall bench, which looked like the table. She loved the style, with the clean lines but, it would have to be adjusted for two main things: 1) Correct height for sitting on to put on shoes/boots and, 2) a cavity within for storage. She wanted it to open or maybe put a couple drawers in it. I said OK but, that would interrupt the solid look and clean lines, as there would then be gaps for either, a lid or drawers. She just said, "Well, think about it." This was just days before she sprung the surprise Cali trip on me. Once I found out where I was headed, the book was the first thing to go in my duffel! Mark Singer's name is synonymous with the word "design" and I just knew he'd come up with a good suggestion. I was half right because, it actually ended up being a tag-team effort between him and his lovely wife, Myriam. The final design element was to keep the bulk of it looking totally seamless and have the whole front part slide forward! Who'd a thunk?!:D

The original design by Stender, believe it or not, revolved around a core of styrofoam, with thin panels laminated to it, as well as solid wood to trim out the corners. Mark suggested I fore-go the edge trim and use ripped miters on my planned solid Cherry body. After gluing up the main panels, (again using one of Mark's suggested methods) I commenced to ripping everything at 45°. That would also include the pedestal-type legs. The main noticeable feature would be the top and front, so I made sure to glue-up a panel wide enough to be certain it would wrap from top to front, thus continuing the grain throughout. (Another MS suggestion! ) All the 45's were glued up using biscuits w/Titebond II. I cut a "sleeper" board for the otherwise open end of the main top and strap clamped it all together, while additional straps and clamps were used to put the top down at the same time. (Note to self: Next time, do those as separate functions!!!) The carcass of the "cavity" is 3/4" MDF and basically just slammed together with glue and pocket screws. I would prefer ply but, I was looking for some weight advantage, because the whole top would be sliding forward, with leverage working against it.

Once I got the top done, it was on to finishing. I started with two coats of Velvit Oil and allowed it to cure out. (Faster than BLO, by the way.) I decided that, the top was probably going to be subject to scratches and such, so I elected to use lacquer, which I could easily touch-up when necessary. This time around, I figured I'd try the Watco brush-on lacquer. Well, I was probably doing something wrong, but I just don't care for it. The initial application went on pretty well, with only a few brush marks. The second coat, however, was a bit tougher. As you probably know, lacquer "melts" into the previous coat and there was quite a bit of drag on the brush. I did manage to get on a half-decent coat on it, but still not where I'd like it to be. The OEM suggests 3 coats. Well, I tried.:( The 3rd coat was near impossible to put on without excessive drag. I did one panel and gave up. Once dry, I sanded it down a bit and continued with some lacquer I had in spray cans. Worked much better! A few more coats of that, lightly sand down with 400, wet sand w/600, rub out, buff, wipe and hit it with a couple coats of Renaissance wax. The whole top is attached to the base with Accuride, full length slides, which do an admirable job. My client is extremely pleased with it and said it looks/feels like "fine furniture".:) Not sure I'd go quite that far, but it does represent a LOT of firsts for me and I'm generally pleased with the results. I'd especially like to thank Mark & Myriam for all their assistance on this little project! You guys are not only gracious and generous hosts, but inspirational, as well! Thanks for taking a peek!:) :cool:

Joe Blankshain
09-18-2005, 2:05 PM
John,

That looks great and a wonderful solution to the storage issue. Let us know how it works out this winter.

Jamie Buxton
09-18-2005, 2:18 PM
That's a slick solution.

It's obviously too late, but another possibility would have been to take the entire part that now slides, and hinge it at the back. Open, it would be less in-the-way. You could even use gas struts to hold it up, just like the rear of a hatchback car.

Jim Becker
09-18-2005, 2:26 PM
Yet another awesome project, John! I've seen these from solid d-fir, but this hollow version is a great idea!

John Miliunas
09-18-2005, 2:28 PM
That's a slick solution.

It's obviously too late, but another possibility would have been to take the entire part that now slides, and hinge it at the back. Open, it would be less in-the-way. You could even use gas struts to hold it up, just like the rear of a hatchback car.

Jamie, thought 'o that but, The Boss also wants a coat rack right above it, which would have dramatically limited the space in which to open it like a hood. The entryway is not all that wide, hence the bench needs to stay pretty close to the wall. This was the only way we could figure on doing it and still keep the look un-broken. The gas struts is a neat idea, though. :) 'Course, going back to my gearhead days, I'd then expect to see a beefed up powerplant instead of gloves and such!:D :cool:

Dan Forman
09-18-2005, 2:46 PM
John---Good to see you back at work with a full fledged project. It turned out really well, a very unique piece. Never would guess by looking that the finish gave you such a hard time. Way to go!

Dan

Dale Rodabaugh
09-18-2005, 2:52 PM
John,that is a really nice piece.very impressive,and the storage space is a real plus.:cool: :cool: :cool: Looks like something to put on my to do list.;) :) :D

Michael Stafford
09-18-2005, 3:18 PM
Wonderful looking project, John. Who said you were a tool collector? You gotta have tools to do a great looking project like that and a whole lotta skill.

I once made a box similar to that, no legs of course. Not only did I wrap the grain from top to bottom but I also managed to wrap it around the outside. What a pain. You did a fine job with the miters. Very nice!!!! :D

Bob Noles
09-18-2005, 3:30 PM
John,

That is a great looking project and the design is really unique, but the part I think is just out and out awesome is the finish.

Great job!

Vaughn McMillan
09-18-2005, 3:32 PM
Very nice, John. The miter joints look excellent. (Miters have been the most recent thorn in my side.) I'm glad to see that trip to Cali was good for more than cheap labor for the Singers. ;)

- Vaughn

Richard Wolf
09-18-2005, 3:57 PM
Great job, it looks beautiful.

Richard

Mark Singer
09-18-2005, 5:27 PM
John,

We are about as excited as you are! It came out great and fast! Really quick work!!! You really didn't miss a trick....we didn't really discuss it much and you really got all the details perfect....allowing the grain to continue around the corners creates a solid feeling very much in character with te scale and proportions of the piece.

This is a great example of seeing a design you like...redsigning to your specific needs and designing the details yourself to construct it! That creates a feeling of pride and satisfaction that goes way beyond just copying from plans or a WW Magazine. In the FWW Maloof article he stresses this approach to creating and the satisfaction that comes with starting ith a blank sheet of paper...

Great Job my friend!

PS...Myriam wants royalties:rolleyes:

John Miliunas
09-18-2005, 5:57 PM
Thanks much for all the accolades, guys! It was a pretty neat project to work on and I even managed to hide most of my mistakes!:rolleyes:

Mark, I can't thank you enough for the guidance, tips and inspiration! Actually, that last part you will need to share with your bride!:) Oh, and tell Myriam I'll cut her a check for that the next time I'm out that way!:D :) :cool:

Dick Parr
09-18-2005, 6:47 PM
Very nice John,

You do hide those mistakes well because I don't see a darn thing wrong with any part of it. :D

Great job John ;)

Jim DeLaney
09-18-2005, 7:00 PM
Great design, John. I really like it. I do have one question, though:

The (Accuride?) drawer slides you used appear to be of the full extension, 100 pound variety. I weigh 230. Can I sit on it without doing damage to the bench or its hardware? Just curious...

Mark Singer
09-18-2005, 7:19 PM
John,

I did want to mention as Jim D. asked is hardware heavy duty? Accurides go up to about 250 lbs I think...same with of 1/2"...

John Miliunas
09-18-2005, 8:26 PM
John,

I did want to mention as Jim D. asked is hardware heavy duty? Accurides go up to about 250 lbs I think...same with of 1/2"...

Fear not my friends...They are but the 100lb. variety, and although I'm a couple pounds heavier than that, no problem. First off, the 100lb. capacity is measured as levered weight on the slides extended. When not extended, you're no longer looking at the same capacities, as now you're dealing with shear strength and, even my lard butt would do little to it.:D However, just to be on the safe side, when the top is in the closed position, it is within just a few thousandths of the MDF box below. With the two dividers in the box for support, the Cherry will flex enough to rest on those, taking the bulk of any stress.:)

Yeah Mark, I know...It wasn't spec'd in the original "design", but I tend to over-engineer things and that's what I came up with. Hey, it works!:D :cool:

Karl Laustrup
09-19-2005, 5:19 PM
Well, I see you've been busy down there since your return from the left coast. I like that bench. Might have to borrow that design when/if we ever got our house expanded, as I'll have the room and the need for the likes of that.

Guess I'm gonna have to make a run down to "Just outside of Spring Green" again to see all the additions. Wish I was progessing as quickly with my projects. Oh, well all in due time.

Karl

Les Spencer
09-19-2005, 5:32 PM
John,

Great job from wood to finish. :D How hard was it to get your miters to fit so well? You must have a very good TS. :cool:

John Gregory
09-19-2005, 5:44 PM
Your solution is great. It looks solid to me. Great job

John Miliunas
09-20-2005, 8:06 AM
Thanks to all for the comments! You guys are too kind!:o

Hey Karl, you keep saying that you're coming out, but you never do!!! Heck, you started threatening to do that before we ever left for FL! Come on out, dude! Bring that Ash with you, if you like, as well.:) Even if you don't, bring your "ash" out anyhow!:D

Les, getting the corners right was a bit of a challenge, but yes, a good TS (Bridgewood BW-10LTS) helps!:) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
09-20-2005, 8:23 AM
John, it is great to see this peice finished! I saw it during the construction phase and knew that it was going to be a winner!! :)

I really love the solid look, you hit a home run with this one.

Did you end up putting weight in the legs?

John Miliunas
09-20-2005, 8:35 AM
John, it is great to see this peice finished! I saw it during the construction phase and knew that it was going to be a winner!! :)

I really love the solid look, you hit a home run with this one.

Did you end up putting weight in the legs?

Thanks Jeff! :) As for the weight, I decided not to, at least for now. It's quite stable, unless you slide it completely out and then, it's only a bit "tipsy". Jill & Casey are aware of it and besides, you only really need to open it about 1/2 way to get at what you want. Quite stable to just before completely open.:) :cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
09-20-2005, 11:57 AM
That is great John! It is just a wonderful case of having the design talent to match the woodworking know how. Being able to put your wifes ideas into a project, makes it that much better. Well done!

And now I have another excuse to come by! To see the new bench, but not before you come by and view the SUPER SECRET set of projects :)

John Miliunas
09-20-2005, 12:32 PM
That is great John! It is just a wonderful case of having the design talent to match the woodworking know how. Being able to put your wifes ideas into a project, makes it that much better. Well done!

And now I have another excuse to come by! To see the new bench, but not before you come by and view the SUPER SECRET set of projects :)

OK. Deal!:) :cool:

John Scarpa
09-20-2005, 12:55 PM
John,

I really like what you did with this project. Beautiful work! :)

Cecil Arnold
09-20-2005, 2:53 PM
John, that is beautiful work, but I have to say MARK, YOU 'DA MAN!

John Miliunas
09-20-2005, 2:56 PM
but I have to say MARK, YOU 'DA MAN!

:) Cecil, thanks and, you certainly don't have to convince me regarding that statement!:D :cool:

Mark Singer
09-20-2005, 4:59 PM
John Da Man....I had nothing to do wih it really...it was his idea and he detailed it and worked it all out on his own! John Gooooood!
John, that is beautiful work, but I have to say MARK, YOU 'DA MAN!

Kelly C. Hanna
09-21-2005, 8:18 AM
Wow! That's a very ambitious design! I have never seen anything like that. Good woodworkers of all types are judged by how well they adapt to (hide) mistakes!!! :D:D:D

You did very well John, that's a beautiful solution. As for Mark and Myriam's design, fantastic way to solve a problematic project!

John Miliunas
09-21-2005, 8:26 AM
As for Mark and Myriam's design, fantastic way to solve a problematic project!

Thanks, Kelly! :) Regarding Mr. & Mrs. Singer, I couldn't have done it without them!:D Well Ok...I coulda', but it wouldn't have come out looking anything like that!:rolleyes: :D :cool:

Seth Poorman
09-21-2005, 5:16 PM
Good Job John !! Ill be sure to put this design in the memory bank for a later date!!!!!:D Well Executed ! Seth.....

Chris Padilla
09-22-2005, 1:33 AM
Nice work, Miliunas! You might just make a decent wood butcher one of these days.... :p

John Miliunas
09-22-2005, 7:45 AM
Nice work, Miliunas! You might just make a decent wood butcher one of these days.... :p

:D LOL! Never know, Chris. Stranger things have happened!:rolleyes: :) :cool:

Jerry Olexa
09-23-2005, 11:45 PM
John, I'm a bit late but wanted to praise you for your excellent work on the bench/table!!(BTW Sounds to me like your hands/wrists are doing betterhttp://sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/smile.gif) . Like the clean lines and novel opening. Good looking results. Could use it to watch Packer games (sob)or serve cheese along with the great Wisc beers...Great work!! Looks sturdy, massive and clean...

Jay Knoll
09-24-2005, 7:54 AM
John

That is a great project! But where is the remote control? Didn't you consider adding a garage door opener so you could REALLY wow the crowd when you need to get into the storage area?

Seriously, this is a wonderful job from start to finish. I think I remember the orginal design, wasn't it a combination of styrofoam panels glued up and then wood laminated to the core? I like this much better.

You've worked out a great gig, you get an idea, go on vacation and have fun hanging out with Mark and his family, come home and play in your shop, do a wonderful job and then get all the kudos. Watch out, you'll be setting a precedent here! Mark will have to add an addtion to his wonderful home to accomodate all the Creekers seeking design help.

Jay

John Miliunas
09-24-2005, 9:44 AM
You guys are too much! Thanks much for the additional compliments. Jerry, no cheese & crackers on this bad boy. I almost didn't let the girls sit on it!:rolleyes: But then, it wouldn't be a bench, would it?:)

Jay, you're just cracking me up! Hmmmm...Never thought of an electrified opener! Ahhh...But then, we've already go too many remotes around here already. :) You are right, though. It did certainly end up being one heckuva' an awesome gig!:D Oh, and there ain't no way Mark would add on to his beautiful home! He built it with a purpose and maximum occupancy level in mind. At the moment, it's two adults, two dogs and a bird!:D :) :cool: