PDA

View Full Version : Shenhui laser is broken

Wilbur Harris
04-21-2016, 2:12 PM
I don't remember exactly how long I've had this machine but it's been sitting here in the kitchen for...say...two years. I play with it rarely but I turned it on last night and it didn't work. The control power light switch doesn't light up nor does the control panel itself. The laser switch lights up but that's all. If anybody will help me figure out what's wrong I'll dance at your wedding.

I'll supply photos if needed....

Mark Sipes
04-21-2016, 2:27 PM
Please No Dancing.. Your going to have to pull panels and look for fuses as start. If you don't have a multimeter invest in one. The spark method is not good for lasers.... First guess would be a power supply but we are not there yet!

OK all Panels off ,,, Pull all connectors you can find and reseat to make sure there is good contact. Retest start......

Wilbur Harris
04-21-2016, 2:38 PM
OK - will do that and report back. I poked around on them last night but didn't pull and reseat.

I do have a multimeter....

Wilbur Harris
04-21-2016, 4:18 PM
OK, pulled and reseated all the connections I could find - same thing. I can't find any fuses anywhere and I looked pretty close. Are they regular ol' fuses or am I looking for the wrong thing? Nothing I saw looks like any fuse I'm familiar with....and I'm old.

Bill George
04-21-2016, 4:33 PM
Wilbur I would start checking for power at that switch and trace out the wires as you go. Have you checked the Emergency Stop button yet? If you don't have a clue as to what I am talking about your going to need to find someone in your neighborhood that understands electrical and how to read a meter.

Mark Sipes
04-21-2016, 4:54 PM
Hard to believe there are no fuses. Can you take a few pictures of the boards/power supply so the forum can chime in to help you.

No Power at the control panel....no motion control or laser power... But power at the power light switch.

As a back yard mechanic I would follow the power with the multimeter until I had none...solder joint, fuse, wire, something.....

Lee DeRaud
04-21-2016, 4:56 PM
I can't find any fuses anywhere and I looked pretty close. Are they regular ol' fuses or am I looking for the wrong thing?They're not real obvious on my ULS...see if you have something like this where the power cord attaches:

Wilbur Harris
04-21-2016, 5:15 PM
Lee - that's exactly where the fuses were. On top of that, I found one of them blown. Additionally, I swapped fuses and believe that's the problem....the fuse didn't blow so I'm thinking I'm good to go as soon as I find the right fuse. Anybody know what the amperage is on that fuse?

Thanks a million...no...a gazillion!

Ken Fitzgerald
04-21-2016, 5:28 PM
Typically the value of a fuse is stamped on the metal end caps.

Mark Sipes
04-21-2016, 6:40 PM
Lee I guess the dance squad will be at your next wedding........

Wilbur Harris
04-21-2016, 6:48 PM
Lee I guess the dance squad will be at your next wedding........

Yep, just say the word and I'll be there!

Wilbur Harris
04-21-2016, 6:57 PM
Typically the value of a fuse is stamped on the metal end caps.

Yes, I thought that too but I used a magnifying glass and couldn't see anything at all. "Johnlaser" says it's a 10-15amp fuse. I'll narrow it down to the correct amperage (sooner or later). I got a pack of 10 amp fuses from the local Ace Hardware and cobbled up a deal that works for the moment, If the 10 amp will carry the load, I'll get some 10s that will fit and all will be well.

Again, many thanks to all!

Lee DeRaud
04-21-2016, 7:08 PM
Lee I guess the dance squad will be at your next wedding........Already waaaay over my lifetime quota, thanks for asking.:eek: