PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Question

Mark J Bachler
04-21-2016, 11:56 AM
I just started using General Finishing's pigmented polyurethane. I'm getting shiny streaks that don't flow out. Is there something I can buff this with to even them out? I'm over lapping my spray patterns about 30%.

John TenEyck
04-21-2016, 1:13 PM
Which sheen are you spraying? I've only sprayed a single gallon of that stuff, on three different projects, but I had no trouble keeping a consistent sheen. I was using satin. I overlapped my spray pattern by half.

Micro mesh should work to buff it out to a consistent sheen, but I think your problem is in how you are spraying it, or how your gun is set up. What kind of gun are you using and are you thinning it? I use an air assisted HVLP gun (Qualspray) and it sprays great w/o thinning.

John

Mark J Bachler
04-21-2016, 3:56 PM
Sounds exactly like what I'm using, I probably need more practice. How would an automotive buffing compound work??

John TenEyck
04-21-2016, 4:58 PM
Fine, depending upon which one you use, but I would use Micro Mesh because it will give you whatever sheen you want based on which Micro Mesh you use, and it won't leave any residue behind. The compound I use is pink and smells like sick cherry bubble gum (who comes up with this stuff?) and if you have any cracks, pores, etc. in your finish, they end up pink and it's a beach to get it out.

John

Mark J Bachler
04-22-2016, 8:50 AM
Thanks John