PDA

View Full Version : Full Spectrum 45W arrived

Robin Powlus
04-21-2016, 8:02 AM
I ordered my Full Spectrum Laser last Monday, and it arrived 9 days later, shipped from Las Vegas to PA.

SUPPORT - I called once with a sales question, and once with a tech question before purchasing. Both times someone answered the phone within 2-5 rings, and helped me immediately (No press #1 for this, press #2 for that). I had emailed a sales rep with a question via their online web form, and received an answer 3 days later, not great, but at least they responded. I used their online chat for two other questions, and received responses fairly quickly (1-2 minutes).

I know there is a lot of support criticism out there, but I think they have really cleaned up their act in the last couple years. The majority of complaints I saw were early 2014 and prior. So far, support seems top notch.

SETUP - Before arrival, I had added a new 30AMP circuit for the laser, I installed a 4" dryer vent and exhaust fan, had a water bucket ready, and hooked up my air compressor. Once the laser arrived it took less than two hours to hook everything up and test the laser, including running 5 minutes away to get a larger air hose than the one I had previously purchased (need 1/2" id). The laser was still aligned after shipping, so I could begin engraving. First test came out great.

DOCUMENTATION - They give the wrong URL in their package insert as to where the manual is for download. I messaged support and had a reply in one minute as to the correct location, but they should update their package insert. The documentation is very detailed for setup, but it appeared at first that there was nothing on using the laser except "run the laser". It was not until the next day that I found that there is also a manual for RetinaEngrave that explains running the laser in detail. I wish they would have mentioned in the package insert that there are two manuals to download. So, the package insert is bad, but the documentation is good once you find it.

QUALITY - I am happy with the quality of my first engraving. I have CorelDraw files that I engraved and cut with a 45W Epilog Helix at a local college two years ago, and I will be duplicating some of this stuff to do a comparison of the Full Spectrum to the Epilog.

Paul Phillips
04-21-2016, 11:28 AM
Hi Robin, Thanks for posting your experience for us. Sometimes it's hard for some people to forgive when you've had a bad experience with a company, I've seen them reaching out on Reddit and I'm glad that they appear to be getting their "poop in a group"! (Yes Dave Sommers, you have permission to use that phrase! ;-)
Please keep us posted on how things go for you and we look forward to seeing some of your work posted here when you get a chance!

Ollie Swoboda
05-13-2016, 3:16 PM
Hi Robin,
I am considering the purchase of the same 45W FS Laser. I would really be interested in your Epilog comparisons after you get the chance to run them. Are you using an exhaust fan to pull smoke and fumes? Does the laser plus fans and pumps draw enough to warrant a 30A circuit or will a 20A (dedicated) be enough? Do you know if FS is currently running an online forum?
Thanks,
--Ollie

David Somers
05-13-2016, 3:28 PM
Thanks Paul!!! :D

Bert Kemp
05-13-2016, 7:33 PM
Ollie being your pretty close to Rabbit laser have you taken a trip there and seen their lasers. For the cost of the FSL and shipping to your location for a few bucks more you could pick up a Rabbit and you'll be 10 times better off.
First off you'll get a real 40 watt laser not a 45 that will only deliver 35 maybe , second the machine construction is way way better then an fsl and third you have support in you back yard. Just something to think about.

Hi Robin,
I am considering the purchase of the same 45W FS Laser. I would really be interested in your Epilog comparisons after you get the chance to run them. Are you using an exhaust fan to pull smoke and fumes? Does the laser plus fans and pumps draw enough to warrant a 30A circuit or will a 20A (dedicated) be enough? Do you know if FS is currently running an online forum?
Thanks,
--Ollie

Dave Stevens-Vegas
05-14-2016, 1:07 AM
Ollie being your pretty close to Rabbit laser have you taken a trip there and seen their lasers. For the cost of the FSL and shipping to your location for a few bucks more you could pick up a Rabbit and you'll be 10 times better off.
First off you'll get a real 40 watt laser not a 45 that will only deliver 35 maybe , second the machine construction is way way better then an fsl and third you have support in you back yard. Just something to think about.

It depends on which 45 watt FSL they're talking about. The 45 watt P series the same class machine as the RL series though a smaller work area. Unless Ray changed what he's importing it's a G Weike just like the P series FSLs. The P series has the big tube and is a real 45 watt glass tube CO2 laser. The PSUs, stepper drivers, mechanical motion parts are identical or near identical. The thing that differentiates the two are the controllers and software. And of course the companies and support... ;) And he's up near Ray it seems like a slam dunk.

If it's an H series FSL it's basically an overblown K40 with good electronics and software. Way different beast than the P or RL series.

Bert Kemp
05-14-2016, 1:21 AM
As far as I know Ray gets his machines from King Rabbit and not Gweike.

It depends on which 45 watt FSL they're talking about. The 45 watt P series the same class machine as the RL series though a smaller work area. Unless Ray changed what he's importing it's a G Weike just like the P series FSLs. The P series has the big tube and is a real 45 watt glass tube CO2 laser. The PSUs, stepper drivers, mechanical motion parts are identical or near identical. The thing that differentiates the two are the controllers and software. And of course the companies and support... ;) And he's up near Ray it seems like a slam dunk.

If it's an H series FSL it's basically an overblown K40 with good electronics and software. Way different beast than the P or RL series.

Jerome Stanek
05-14-2016, 7:08 AM
I got mine from Automation Technologies and it is a Gweike unit. Ollie if you want to see it give me a PM I'm close.

Dave Sheldrake
05-14-2016, 10:52 AM

RabbitlaserUSA machines are from HX King Rabbit in China...not Weike

Doug Hoffman
05-14-2016, 11:56 AM
Unless they have switched, it is a G.Weike. I was looking to buy from FSL January 2015.
The salesman told me that was who made them at that time. I believe they are still the
same base units!

Bert Kemp
05-14-2016, 10:26 PM
Right FSL may be the gweike

but Rabbit Laser USA imports his from HX King Rabbit in China...not Weike
The Rabbits are a much more solid built machine. I've owned both so I have hands on knowledge as to how each is built. Ollie lives in Ohio so he can check both Rabbit and Auto tech and see the difference for him self.

Unless they have switched, it is a G.Weike. I was looking to buy from FSL January 2015.
The salesman told me that was who made them at that time. I believe they are still the
same base units!

Dave Stevens-Vegas
05-15-2016, 10:04 PM
Right FSL may be the gweike

but Rabbit Laser USA imports his from HX King Rabbit in China...not Weike
The Rabbits are a much more solid built machine. I've owned both so I have hands on knowledge as to how each is built. Ollie lives in Ohio so he can check both Rabbit and Auto tech and see the difference for him self.

Thanks for the correction. My FSL is a GWeike with an FSL control board and software. The board is the only thing I can't get anywhere else. Even if Ollie wasn't in Ohio based on my experience and other's comments the Rabbit is a good bet.

Dave Stevens-Vegas
05-15-2016, 10:15 PM
same base units!

FSL had a different line when I saw them at CES this year. They still appear to be GWieke machines though not the LG series I have.

Bert Kemp
05-16-2016, 2:52 PM
question on this 45 watt FSL .
How is it they call this a 45 watt when the over all length of the fsl case is a tad over 37 inches and a 40 watt tube not 45 watt is almost 40 inches long. Do they have some secret way of getting 5 more watts of power in to a tube thats more then 3 inches shorter then needed ????:confused:

Andrew Holloway
05-17-2016, 3:08 AM
question on this 45 watt FSL .
How is it they call this a 45 watt when the over all length of the fsl case is a tad over 37 inches and a 40 watt tube not 45 watt is almost 40 inches long. Do they have some secret way of getting 5 more watts of power in to a tube thats more then 3 inches shorter then needed ????:confused:

I used to have a FSL Hobby 45W. I used a laser power meter and it tested at 29W (cooling water at 15C), but FSL support assured me that was incorrect.
From what I can gather they enchant the tube before shipping it. That along with the fairy dust that you mix in with the cooling water produces a combined 45W.;)

Bert Kemp
05-17-2016, 6:12 PM
I thought it had to be something like that, maybe the local natives have a wattage dance they do.:D its been pretty well documented that their tube's don't come close to what they say they are. I'm sure the GF's are the same way as their case's are considerably shorter then a 40 watt tube.Also FSL is claiming that it will cut 1/2" material, well maybe but it will take a whole bunch of pass's :rolleyes:

I used to have a FSL Hobby 45W. I used a laser power meter and it tested at 29W (cooling water at 15C), but FSL support assured me that was incorrect.
From what I can gather they enchant the tube before shipping it. That along with the fairy dust that you mix in with the cooling water produces a combined 45W.;)

Kev Williams
05-17-2016, 7:25 PM
Some of these companies are obviously stating the tube wattage's at the extreme maximum. A recent post of a 45w Ebay laser showed an 'as tested maximum' of 45 watts printed on the tube. Problem is, they 'as test' them at around 32 millivolts. I know that RECI does, I read it in some of their literature. Problem is, you can't run a tube at 32mV (unless you want to buy a new one every month) and therefore, the actual USABLE wattage is substantially lower. My machine was sold to me with "an 80 watt tube", and right on the tube is the 'as tested maximum' of 110 watts. But as I said, THAT figure came via a 32mV test. The typical 'agreed to' maximum you should run a tube is around 25mV, which is 78% of 32mV, and 78% of 110 watts is 86 watts... factoring a little +/-, then I wasn't being fibbed to by Triumph, and I have a tube I can run all day at 80 watts. 78% of 45 watts is 35 watts, which is a more accurate description of what Andrew's actual output should be at 25mV.

I just think it's sad that companies will use figures outside normal operating limits as a marketing tool. Just because the figure is technically legal, doesn't mean it's ethical...

Reminds me of a '200 watt' car stereo power amp I saw for sale at one of those 'everything must go' clearance sales once. It was as big as a hard drive, weighed as much as a pack of cigarettes, and was $19.95. I asked the salesman if it could actually put out 200 watts... I loved his answer:

"Yeah, if it gets hit by lightning!" ;)

Rich Harman
05-17-2016, 8:20 PM
32 millivolts.... 32mV test....around 25mV, ... of 32mV, ... 25mV.

The units you are looking for are mA (milliamps). ;)

Matt McCoy
05-17-2016, 8:29 PM

Not doubting you, but can you pass along what meter you used and how long you owned the laser when you tested it? Just curious.

Bert Kemp
05-17-2016, 11:28 PM
Right Kev as my Rabbit 60 watts is 71 watts max 60 watts nominal, so I wasn't mislead either:)

Some of these companies are obviously stating the tube wattage's at the extreme maximum. A recent post of a 45w Ebay laser showed an 'as tested maximum' of 45 watts printed on the tube. Problem is, they 'as test' them at around 32 millivolts. I know that RECI does, I read it in some of their literature. Problem is, you can't run a tube at 32mV (unless you want to buy a new one every month) and therefore, the actual USABLE wattage is substantially lower. My machine was sold to me with "an 80 watt tube", and right on the tube is the 'as tested maximum' of 110 watts. But as I said, THAT figure came via a 32mV test. The typical 'agreed to' maximum you should run a tube is around 25mV, which is 78% of 32mV, and 78% of 110 watts is 86 watts... factoring a little +/-, then I wasn't being fibbed to by Triumph, and I have a tube I can run all day at 80 watts. 78% of 45 watts is 35 watts, which is a more accurate description of what Andrew's actual output should be at 25mV.

I just think it's sad that companies will use figures outside normal operating limits as a marketing tool. Just because the figure is technically legal, doesn't mean it's ethical...

Reminds me of a '200 watt' car stereo power amp I saw for sale at one of those 'everything must go' clearance sales once. It was as big as a hard drive, weighed as much as a pack of cigarettes, and was $19.95. I asked the salesman if it could actually put out 200 watts... I loved his answer:

"Yeah, if it gets hit by lightning!" ;)

Kev Williams
05-18-2016, 12:55 AM
The units you are looking for are mA (milliamps). ;)

opps. I must've forgot my memory pills... If I start calling them millivanillivolts, shoot me!

Andrew Holloway
05-18-2016, 2:21 AM
Not doubting you, but can you pass along what meter you used and how long you owned the laser when you tested it? Just curious.

Hi Matt,
I don't recall what brand meter it was but it is owned and used by my local Trotec tech. He used the same meter to test my 60W Speedy 100 when I got it (it tested at 65W).
The FSL was about 1-2 months old so not new but close to it (it had probably done about 5 hours).
I don't remember the mA setting I used but it was what FSL recommend in their instructions - you can change it in the laser software (Retina Engrave).

Matt McCoy
05-18-2016, 8:05 AM
Hi Matt,
I don't recall what brand meter it was but it is owned and used by my local Trotec tech. He used the same meter to test my 60W Speedy 100 when I got it (it tested at 65W).
The FSL was about 1-2 months old so not new but close to it (it had probably done about 5 hours).
I don't remember the mA setting I used but it was what FSL recommend in their instructions - you can change it in the laser software (Retina Engrave).

Thanks Andrew.