PDA

View Full Version : Used SawStop

Brian Akers
04-20-2016, 12:06 PM
Looking at a used SawStop. Is the middle one, the cabinet saw. Is this a saw you should buy new?
Thanks!

Matt Day
04-20-2016, 2:15 PM
If I were you and getting any SS, I'd buy new since they don't show up used often and hold their value quite well, like festool.

Randy Red Bemont
04-20-2016, 2:27 PM
If you're getting a good price used is fine. But remember you are not getting a warranty with used unless they have one that's transferable.

Red

Ben Rivel
04-20-2016, 5:17 PM
Really depends on the deal you find and the condition its in.

Keith Hankins
04-20-2016, 6:51 PM
Well all I can say is good luck. I looked for over a year to find a used one, and they just don't show up often. When they do they gone in a heartbeat. Be super careful when seeing adds for used ones. There is a recurring scam for "used" sawstops on CL and other avenues. You will recognize the pics as they seem to recycle old ones over and over. Google the topic and you will see.

Also when you find one they hold there value good.

I ended up tired of waiting and bit the bullet and bought a new 5hp ICS and don't regret it one bit dang fine saw and love the insurance.

Good luck and remember to post pics' we all love the new toys even if they are somone elses.

James Zhu
04-20-2016, 8:26 PM
well, if you are looking for a sawstop deal, why not buy this 2006 Felder CF731 for $7995, excellent deal! You get a sliding table saw, shaper, 12" jointer/planer and mortising attachment.

I am not affiliated with the seller, just saw someone mentioned it in other thread.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/tls/5464822788.html

Brian Akers
04-21-2016, 8:06 AM
It's actually at an estate sale. Headed there this morning. Also looking at the drum sander and drill press and some smaller stuff.

Raymond Seward
04-21-2016, 8:30 AM
That's how I got mine....1 3/4 HP cabinet saw....paid $1800 withe the upgraded fence and enclosed mobile base. I've had it a few weeks and so far I like it.....but....if you plan on ripping thick stock on a regular basis I would pass on it. I gave up a Uni with 1 1/2 HP motor that I bought new in 1985 and believe me, the Uni had more guts than the 1 3/4HP SS. Something to keep in mind. HTH

Brian Akers
04-21-2016, 8:49 AM
That's how I got mine....1 3/4 HP cabinet saw....paid $1800 withe the upgraded fence and enclosed mobile base. I've had it a few weeks and so far I like it.....but....if you plan on ripping thick stock on a regular basis I would pass on it. I gave up a Uni with 1 1/2 HP motor that I bought new in 1985 and believe me, the Uni had more guts than the 1 3/4HP SS. Something to keep in mind. HTH

I have a Ridgid r45 12 and have been pretty happy with but even with the smaller motor it would still be an upgrade for me.

Ray Newman
04-21-2016, 8:54 AM
Sounds like your are referring to the PCS?? As for a used price, it is going to depend upon if it has:

As another poster said, is it the 100 or 220 volt motor?

Does it have the overarm dust collection?

Which rip fence -- there are two models?

How long are the rip fence rails, 30, 36, or 52" long?

Mobile base, there are two models?

Any extra blade cartridge, blades, dado set, or throats plates/zero clearance inserts? (CAVEAT: The dado brake system is designed for an 8" diameter dado set, not the 6".)

You can easily compare the asking price of this used saw to a new saw. Go to the Saw Stop site to "build" and price out a new PCS to the same configuration your are looking at. Click on "By Model", select the model, then "Build" at http://www.sawstop.com/

The Saw Stop manuals are also available on-line.

Frankie Hunt
04-21-2016, 9:46 AM
No problem buying used, I got my 3hp PCS at around 60% of new price. SawStop offers GREAT support if needed.

Used SawStops are very, very rare and they go VERY quickly. I got lucky on mine, I saw the ad within minutes of posting. I was the first one to view the saw (within 1 hour) The seller had 3 other buyers lined up already but was insistent on selling to the first with cash.

Brian Akers
04-21-2016, 10:45 AM
Sounds like your are referring to the PCS?? As for a used price, it is going to depend upon if it has:

As another poster said, is it the 100 or 220 volt motor?

Does it have the overarm dust collection?

Which rip fence -- there are two models?

How long are the rip fence rails, 30, 36, or 52" long?

Mobile base, there are two models?

Any extra blade cartridge, blades, dado set, or throats plates/zero clearance inserts? (CAVEAT: The dado brake system is designed for an 8" diameter dado set, not the 6".)

You can easily compare the asking price of this used saw to a new saw. Go to the Saw Stop site to "build" and price out a new PCS to the same configuration your are looking at. Click on "By Model", select the model, then "Build" at http://www.sawstop.com/

The Saw Stop manuals are also available on-line.

I forgot to check the motor... doh! Has the 36" premium fence, cheaper one of the mobile base, multiple brake cartridges and several different inserts and has the overhead dust collection. Over all a pretty nice package. All added up to a little overy 3k on the SS site. They wanted $1950 for it which is reasonable but not necessarily a steal. Being the first day, no haggling... someone might pay that but not me. Picked up some smalls though. Incra 1000HD for $70 and a grr-ripper for $25. Got several other pieces to but those were the highlights of the haul. I'll check back tomorrow and see what else is left.

John Sanford
04-21-2016, 6:40 PM
One thing regarding the motor: The 3hp motor CAN be swapped out for the 1.75hp motor on a PCS. I verified this a while ago with SS.

Brian Akers
04-21-2016, 9:43 PM
One thing regarding the motor: The 3hp motor CAN be swapped out for the 1.75hp motor on a PCS. I verified this a while ago with SS.

Is there a reason you would want the lesser motor?

Brian Akers
04-22-2016, 7:31 AM
Is there a reason you would want the lesser motor?

Maybe I read it wrong, you can switch the lesser motor out to thw more powerful one?

Simon MacGowen
04-22-2016, 8:55 AM
. All added up to a little overy 3k on the SS site. They wanted $1950 for it which is reasonable but not necessarily a steal. .

The saw would probably be sold between $1700 and $1800, depending on how desperate the owner wants to sell. The mobile base OR the dust collection could come with the saw free if he bought it during one of the promotional periods. $1950 is a reasonable asking price as a starter, if it is just a few years old.

Simon

Brian Akers
04-22-2016, 8:59 AM
The saw would probably be sold between $1700 and $1800, depending on how desperate the owner wants to sell. The mobile base OR the dust collection could come with the saw free if he bought it during one of the promotional periods. $1950 is a reasonable asking price as a starter, if it is just a few years old.

Simon

I'm just got here again and they aren't letting people in yet...

Ben Rivel
04-22-2016, 12:21 PM
Maybe I read it wrong, you can switch the lesser motor out to thw more powerful one?
I think thats what he meant.