PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

Fred Perreault
04-20-2016, 9:59 AM
This is a brass device in a nice wooden box. It came freom my father in law's property. He worked for the Department of Public Works for the Comm. of Massachusetts. He went out in the field and worked in the office as a draftsman, and was a certified Professional Civil Engineer. Does anyone seen something like this or have any idea what this is? It opens and closes as dividers, and the circular part has graduations in degrees and there is a small magnifier/looking glass I imagine to read the small graduations. I may have posted this question some time way back, but cannot find the answer to it yet............... Thank you for your time.................. Fred

Malcolm McLeod
04-20-2016, 10:16 AM
My g-grandfather was part of Geologic Survey of Canada, and left similar style device ('tho his was for getting accurate compass readings). I believe this is a sighting device for (accurately) determining angle between two reference points. Apex is the device location; reference points were sighted via aiming reticles on the arms. ...But I could be WAAAAYY off.

Bill Orbine
04-20-2016, 4:40 PM
Station pointer. Google it!

Fred Perreault
04-24-2016, 2:30 PM
Thank you for the info. It seems to be of that purpose.

Fred P.