PDA

View Full Version : Snap, crackle, pop.

jared parson
04-19-2016, 9:16 PM
So last night i turned a big chunk of green Sassafras...decent size bowl, about 10x4.5". This evening after work, i took some 150 to it to take down a few ridges and get rid of the fuzz inside. A little while later i was walking through the shop, and noticed a snapping sound that was coming from the bowl. It sounded like a bowl of rice krispies.
I assumed it was something to do with the heat from sanding and the moisture in the wood. An hour and a half later i could still hear it. I dont turn green that often, but ive never noticed this before....anyone experience this? Haunted wood? Or perhaps its one of those things ive just never noticed, as im often listening to music through ear buds while turning and sanding.
Thanks

Reed Gray
04-19-2016, 9:23 PM
Usually it isn't that loud, but thin turned madrone does the same thing.

robo hippy

Brice Rogers
04-19-2016, 11:49 PM
Jared, can you see any cracks developing?

William Bachtel
04-20-2016, 7:05 AM
I have turned a lot of Sassy, but never heard that before, its snaps, and pops when you burn it. (wood stove)

jared parson
04-20-2016, 9:26 AM
Jared, can you see any cracks developing?
At the time of this response Brice, no visible cracks at all. Still hearing a faint crackling sound this morning though. Perhaps the sanding had nothing to do with it. I didnt stick around in the shop the night i turned it, went inside. I wouldnt have had a chance to hear it until the following day when i did a little sanding.

Dave B West
04-20-2016, 3:21 PM
Not sure about similarities in between sassafras and cedar, but i have heard the same from a white cedar bowl I turned.

Reed Gray
04-20-2016, 5:21 PM
I remember a demo where Christian Burshard turned a really thin piece of madrone and then passed it around telling us to listen to it. You had to put it up to your ear. Not sure how other woods would do, but thin turned, 1/4 inch or less should do it.

robo hippy

jared parson
04-20-2016, 11:28 PM
OK, so the cracks started showing up tonight. (see pic) The bowl was turned to just over 1/4" Monday night. As stated i did a little sanding Tuesday eve. Thats when i noticed the crackling sounds, no visible cracks this morning upon inspection. Didnt notice the cracks tonight until i had been sanding for a bit. Then they became very noticeable.
Like i said i dont turn a whole lot of green wood (although id like to start doing more) and have had success with it. This is the first time ive lost a piece to cracking. Ive got a bunch more of this beautiful wood, but now Im a little reluctant to waste another evening on it. Any thoughts on what could've went wrong? I know every piece of wood can react differently, and Im familiar with twice turning bowls too. Is it possible that sanding had something to do with it. Do you normally wait for the piece to dry completely before sanding? My initial thought was not to finish sand yesterday, but mainly to knock some ridges and gouge marks off before the warping began.
Lemme know what you think. Thanks

Brice Rogers
04-21-2016, 1:20 AM
When I've turned once (thin) on green wood, I will wrap the outside with a stretch wrap plastic (suggestion of Reed Gray/Robo Hippy) wrapped around the rim. Also, placing in a paper bag with damp chips helps the piece to slowly lose its moisture. The theory that I have is that by slowing down moisture loss that the end grain and side grain kind of stay in equilibrium as they shrink through moisture loss. I don't know how this applies to your situation. I'm just explaining what I do.

I would be interested in hearing from people who might want to boil the newly turned (once-turned) piece.

Reed Gray
04-21-2016, 1:50 AM
Those type of cracks, usually indicate sanding with too much pressure, and too fast, both of which generate heat, which will cause cracking. More of a problem with hand sanding. I would keep rpm to 500 or less, and if you hand is getting hot, you are using too much pressure. To get maximum traction with your abrasives, you need slower speeds, kind of like dragsters, too much gas and they spin out...

robo hippy

John K Jordan
04-21-2016, 3:16 AM
Jared, I don't know if this is your issue but have had checks appear while sanding from too much heat. If I need to sand wood now that is not completely dry I like to wet sand it.

Can you cut blanks from the remaining sassafras and let it dry? I have dried and turned a lot of sassafras and never had a blank (or piece) check or crack. (I seal the end grain) I usually turn wood that I've air dried for 8-10 years or longer.

Sassafras has always been on of the more stable woods for me. Of course, the wood you have grew in a different environment and may be much different.

JKJ

jared parson
04-21-2016, 8:53 AM
Maybe too much pressure is culprit. I was sanding at 300 and trying to keep a lighter touch. I like the dragster analogy Reed. Ill try a little wet sanding on the next one if needed prior to drying.
John- I do have a few blanks cut and sealed. I also have the remaining 8 ft section of log to process, as well as a nice big crotch. Talk about some strong smelling stuff, my shop is attached to the house and the wood could be smelled throughout.

Aaron Craven
04-21-2016, 11:04 AM
Yeah. I'm not certain, but those look like the heat cracks I have gotten on some cedar pieces before.

The worst part is that they are usually just deep enough that you can't really sand them back out... you have to cut again (if you have enough wood left to cut).

That said, your bowl is still a very attractive piece. I even kind of like the cracks... Maybe finish sanding it, apply a nice oil finish... it would make a very nice utility bowl.

jared parson
04-21-2016, 8:17 PM
Thanks Aaron...i see some popcorn in its future.

Brice Rogers
04-21-2016, 9:01 PM
Jered, it is hard to tell from the picture, but are the cracks really short and small (non-structural) ? If so, perhaps you sand with an oil and let the oiled flour fill the cracks or figure out a different technique to fill the pores.

Aaron Craven
04-22-2016, 8:14 AM
Jered, it is hard to tell from the picture, but are the cracks really short and small (non-structural) ? If so, perhaps you sand with an oil and let the oiled flour fill the cracks or figure out a different technique to fill the pores.

Possible this might work in his case, but in the times I've seen it in cedar, the cracks are mostly below the surface. You can't even feel them -- only see them. Nothing I did (short of cutting again) would take them out.

jared parson
04-22-2016, 9:00 AM
Yes the cracks are short and appear to be non structural. They are not very deep, i can barely feel them with a fingernail. I think i will let it sit a few weeks and see what happens, hopefully they dont open up, then i can try to finish sanding it. I dont believe i have enough wood to attempt turning the cracks out, so as long as they dont open up , ill find a use for it. Im going to turn some more of that Sass next week, but ill do some things differently.