PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Delta Drill press restoration help.

Patrick Walsh
04-19-2016, 6:14 PM
I would ask over on the vintage machinery forum but for whatever reason my account will not allow me to create new post. I have contacted moderators to no avail so here i am.

I recently aquired three old 17" Delta drill pressess. One is real old and i think a modle #1382. All the head castings say DP600. I have figured enough to know that is the casting number of the part and not the model number of the press.

Anywho the question is about bearing replacement. I have found five bearings total in the quill assembly. I will follow this post with pictures. Two of the bearings are attached to a two piece shaft connected by a allen bolt. I cant seem to free this allen bolt and am inclined to think it can not be removed. If this be the case than these two bearings also can not be replaced.

I feel like i have read somewhere along the line that only certain bearings can be repalced on these old Delta presss. If this be the case i just need to figure that out before i break something trying to get these pieces apart.

Pictures to follow.

Patrick Walsh
04-19-2016, 6:21 PM
The pictures show one of the spinnles or shafts aceembled and one partially accembled. The bearings are just above the gear and seperated by a large spacer.

The gear has a allen screw on its bottom but on both shafts or spindles i can not get it to budge.

Like i said i feel like somewhere along the lines i read that therenare two bearings in old Delta DP's that can not b replaced. I wonder if these are the two people were talking about?

Charles Taylor
04-19-2016, 6:28 PM
I'm not experienced with that model, so I'm not of any help with what it will take to get them apart. The DP200 (14" press) has a couple of bearings with extended inner races that are no longer manufactured commercially. One of the OWWM members fabricates and sells replacements, though.

Edit: DP220.

Patrick Walsh
04-19-2016, 6:46 PM
Crap.

I really really need to find a way to post to that forum!

As said i have three of these all 17" presses two i am pretty sure are late 30's early 40's i hope to end up with two fully functional machines fully restored.

I dont like doing things half way and leaving these two bearings wii wreck my head...

I'm not experienced with that model, so I'm not of any help with what it will take to get them apart.

The DP200 (14" press) has a couple of bearings with extended inner races that are no longer manufactured commercially. One of the OWWM members fabricates and sells replacements, though.

Matt Day
04-19-2016, 7:57 PM
Create a new account if you have too. There's usually about a one day delay over there for things like this and BOYD posts and such.

Patrick Walsh
04-19-2016, 8:00 PM
I just sent them another request to sort this out.

to create another account i have to have another email address. Being i only have one i dint really want to go through making another.

It does kinda look like that is the route i will probably have to go in the end.

go
Create a new account if you have too. There's usually about a one day delay over there for things like this and BOYD posts and such.

Don Jarvie
04-19-2016, 8:21 PM
If your a member do a search for your model. The odds are good someone else has had this issue.

Patrick Walsh
04-19-2016, 8:26 PM
I cant log into my account as it keeps claiming my password or user name do not exist.

I just created a new account under a new email.

As someoen above suggested it will probably take a day to getmthe account up and running.

If your a member do a search for your model. The odds are good someone else has had this issue.

Harold Weaver
04-20-2016, 10:06 AM
Patrick,
There is a 5 part You Tube series on the restoration of the Delta DP600 drill press. The spindle is addressed in Part 4 of the series. Maybe this will help. Fast forward to 14:46 of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FreAHwTaSMU

Patrick Walsh
04-20-2016, 8:34 PM
Thank you Harrold.

I could not find where he addreses taking apart th exact pieces in question but i did see where he put them together. So part of my question is answere, "the pieces do come apart".

Now i need to figure out where to order these bearings..

Vintage Macinery has yet to approve my new account.....

Patrick,
There is a 5 part You Tube series on the restoration of the Delta DP600 drill press. The spindle is addressed in Part 4 of the series. Maybe this will help. Fast forward to 14:46 of the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FreAHwTaSMU

M Toupin
04-20-2016, 9:04 PM
Accuratebearing.com
Toll Free 800-323-6548 or 630-543-2100 ask for Lynn

She's the defacto owwm bearing expert

Mike

Rich Riddle
04-20-2016, 9:37 PM
Indeed, but have your bearings in your hand or all the information written down. She can tell you what will work and what won't work. She's great and very helpful.
Accuratebearing.com
Toll Free 800-323-6548 or 630-543-2100 ask for Lynn

She's the defacto owwm bearing expert

Mike

Patrick Walsh
04-20-2016, 9:56 PM
This is great info guys.

I got that part apart a couple hours ago.

Now just need to order these bearings a VFD and get to sandblasting..

Thank you so much.

Indeed, but have your bearings in your hand or all the information written down. She can tell you what will work and what won't work. She's great and very helpful.

Harold Weaver
04-21-2016, 10:56 AM
As others have said, get the from Lynn at Accurate Bearing. She is indeed the expert. Got my DP600 quill bearings and motor bearings from them. It has been three years since I did mine, so I cannot remember exactly how those two parts come apart. But you should be able to view this article even though you cannot post at OWWM. Its a good write up. In addition, the two photos attached show how the bearing assy comes apart. See the little slot in the gear at the end of the spindle where the bearings are? This holds the little spline gear in place. Once removed the little spline gear should come off allowing access to remove the bearings.

http://www.owwm.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169996&p=1159477&hilit=DP600+spindle#p1159477

ken lewellyn
04-21-2016, 2:34 PM
I would ask over on the vintage machinery forum but for whatever reason my account will not allow me to create new post. I have contacted moderators to no avail so here i am.

I recently aquired three old 17" Delta drill pressess. One is real old and i think a modle #1382. All the head castings say DP600. I have figured enough to know that is the casting number of the part and not the model number of the press.

Anywho the question is about bearing replacement. I have found five bearings total in the quill assembly. I will follow this post with pictures. Two of the bearings are attached to a two piece shaft connected by a allen bolt. I cant seem to free this allen bolt and am inclined to think it can not be removed. If this be the case than these two bearings also can not be replaced.

I feel like i have read somewhere along the line that only certain bearings can be repalced on these old Delta presss. If this be the case i just need to figure that out before i break something trying to get these pieces apart.

Pictures to follow.

Are you trying to post on vintagemachinery.org or owwm.org?

Myk Rian
04-21-2016, 9:04 PM
Crap.

I really really need to find a way to post to that forum!
Go to owwm.org . that's where all the action is.

Here's mine.

CPeter James
04-22-2016, 2:35 PM
That allen screw will come out. I have rebuilt several of these and that screws can be stubborn. These used two different types of bearings in the spindles on those. You will need to verify which you have before you order the new ones. You said 5 bearings, but I only know of 4. the two that you are dealing with and the two in the spindle pulley. You did find the cute little half moon key that holds everything together. This is my idea of the perfect small shop drill press, especially with the slow speed pulley option. My present one has a power feeder and 1 hp three phase motor with a VFD for variable speed and reverse.