PDA

View Full Version : Drill Press Hunt

Brian Akers
04-19-2016, 8:25 AM
I've been on the hunt for a decent used drill press for a while now. I missed out on a Walker Turner floor model a while back at $175. Told the guy I was coming from an hour away and he sold it right before I got there... Anyhow, I really need a drill press and having trouble finding a decent used one within a hundred miles. Everyone here is trying to unload their Ryobi ones here in Atlanta. I guess I'll just have to buy new. Right now I'm looking at the Grizzly G7944 and the Porter Cable PCB660DP. Any others I shold be looking at in that range for a new one?

Also, there are lots of drill presses, even these mentioned above, that get scathing reviews. I can't seem to find one that has high flying reviews for less than $1k! I'm paranoid I'm gonna be the one to get the lemon and I just don't really have time to sort out an issue with a new press. I need to get it setup and run right out of the box.

Matt Day
04-19-2016, 9:44 AM
Unless you have an immediate need, I'd be patient and wait for a used one like a PM 1150 or 1200. Shelling out $1000+ for a new DP seems crazy. I got my 1150 for $175 in no need of parts (sans trailer jack to raise the table) or restoration.

Maybe in the short term pickup a cheap benchtop. It won't have all the features but will drill 90% of needs.

When I say be patient I mean it may take a few months or more, and you need to diligently search CL, and be ready to drive at a moments notice (lunch break, after work, evening, whenever).

Yonak Hawkins
04-19-2016, 9:58 AM
Told the guy I was coming from an hour away and he sold it right before I got there...

This is inexcusable. If you tell someone you're on your way they should hold it until you get there. It's the right thing to do.

Dimitrios Fradelakis
04-19-2016, 10:05 AM
I was on the hunt for a very long time for a Powermatic 1150 but in the end it was well worth the wait. I saw it for sale on Ebay so I contacted the seller,checked it out in person and bought it. He even delivered it to my home which was about 25 miles away. The way you can increase the odds of scoring a good drill press is to set up email alerts on Craigslist.

Make sure you register an account on Craigslist so it's easier to manage your alerts.

Here is a quick tutorial:

http://noticraig.com/how-to-set-up-free-craigslist-email-notifications/

Brian Akers
04-19-2016, 10:16 AM
Thanks guys!

Nick Stokes
04-19-2016, 10:27 AM
From my experience in the world of drill presses.

If you are buying new, the Porter cable at Lowes with the 10% coupon is your best option.

If buying used, you can probably go on CL right now and pick up any 15" press for $100 or so... and drill almost perfect woodworking holes... Then stay on the hunt for your dream Powermatic or Rockwell/Delta. Once you find it, resell the old one for your $100 and you're in business.

Brian Akers
04-19-2016, 10:34 AM
This is inexcusable. If you tell someone you're on your way they should hold it until you get there. It's the right thing to do.

My thoughts exactly! The guy was still there with it in his truck!!!