PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about Switching my Powermatic 64 to 220v

dennis thompson
04-18-2016, 10:24 PM
I am thinking about switching my Powermatic 64 to 220v. Will I need to replace the current cords? Or the current on/off switch? Clearly I have to replace the plug.Are there Any others issues with this move to 220?
thanks

Dan Friedrichs
04-18-2016, 10:48 PM
Both cord and switch should be marked with a voltage rating that you can check.

That said, unless your circuit wiring is presently undersized, you won't see any improvement in performance.

John McClanahan
04-19-2016, 7:44 AM
As Dan said. If the power cord plug doesn't plug onto the outlet firmly, try replacing the wall outlet with a better quality outlet.

John

Hoang N Nguyen
04-19-2016, 8:44 AM
I'm no expert but from what I've learned before switching my TS from 120v to 240v was due to the amount of amps it pulls. If you're nearing the max amps your breaker can handle, you run the risk of either tripping it on start up and under heavy load. You also risk running the motor hotter or something like that. So if you currently draw say 15 amps under normal use on 120v than you'll only be drawing 7.5 amps under normal use with 240v. I forgot the exact numbers but I know your motor will draw more amps on start up than under normal running conditions, somewhere around 1.2 or 1.5 times that. If it's 1.5 than you'll end up drawing 22.5 amps on start up. If you have it hooked up to a 20amp breaker than I can see an issue, not an issue if it's on a 20amp 240v breaker.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge on this can correct me if I'm wrong. As others have mentioned, you won't see an increase in power or performance by switching.

Charles Taylor
04-19-2016, 8:53 AM
If the starter (switch) is only single pole, which is adequate for 120V operation, you should replace it with a 2-pole starter so that both power leads go through it. Otherwise the unswitched hot lead is always supplying voltage to the machine. Make sure it is specifically a motor starter and rated for your motor's HP.

I also agree with Dan. Unless you are having problems with your 120V setup, switching to 240V won't give you any advantage.

Robert Engel
04-19-2016, 9:03 AM
If the starter (switch) is only single pole, which is adequate for 120V operation, you should replace it with a 2-pole starter so that both power leads go through it. Otherwise the unswitched hot lead is always supplying voltage to the machine. Make sure it is specifically a motor starter and rated for your motor's HP.

I also agree with Dan. Unless you are having problems with your 120V setup, switching to 240V won't give you any advantage.
Good point - check that switch!

Art Mann
04-19-2016, 10:45 AM
I forgot the exact numbers but I know your motor will draw more amps on start up than under normal running conditions, somewhere around 1.2 or 1.5 times that. If it's 1.5 than you'll end up drawing 22.5 amps on start up. If you have it hooked up to a 20amp breaker than I can see an issue, not an issue if it's on a 20amp 240v breaker.

Startup current can be 2 or 3 times the full load current but that doesn't make any difference. Breakers and fuses are designed to sustain much, much higher currents for short amounts of time. A normal residential breaker will sustain twice the rated current for a minute or so and 10 times the rated current for a few seconds before opening up. Not very many people are unaware of this fact. Breakers are designed for the limitations of the wiring, not what is plugged into it.

Hoang N Nguyen
04-19-2016, 10:54 AM
Startup current can be 2 or 3 times the full load current but that doesn't make any difference. Breakers and fuses are designed to sustain much, much higher currents for short amounts of time. A normal residential breaker will sustain twice the rated current for a minute or so and 10 times the rated current for a few seconds before opening up. Not very many people are unaware of this fact. Breakers are designed for the limitations of the wiring, not what is plugged into it.

There you have it, someone that knows much more than me on electricity.

Art Mann
04-19-2016, 1:28 PM
Are there Any others issues with this move to 220?
thanks
There is the issue of re-configuring the motor wiring inside the motor housing. Sometimes there is a clear and color coded diagram of what needs to be done under the cover. In other cases, you have to consult some other source of information because the information is missing or unintelligible. In no case can you leave this step undone.

allen long
04-19-2016, 2:33 PM
I changed my jet contractor saw and it made a huge difference in performance. The difference is not just in pulling fewer amps during startup. The saw just feels more powerful and powers through thick hardwood much easier than with 120V using the same sharp blade.

Fortunately there was a clear diagram on the motor for rewiring the circuit. I think the reconfiguring of the switch (if any) was done at the motor circuit box (located on the motor). First thing to check is whether your saw is pre-configured to allow 220 (with the appropriate terminal posts for minor rerouting of the wiring). There should be something to the effect of 120/220 listed on the motor identification plate. You will need to replace the power cord and plug with one rated for 220. A little bit of on-line research on wiring 220 and you should be fine. especially if you take your time and verify your new wiring two or three times before throwing the switch.

Apologies if you already knew all this.

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen

Art Mann
04-19-2016, 3:15 PM
As Dan already said, the only way that 240VAC (220 hasn't been the standard in decades) can improve performance is if the original wiring to the saw was inadequate. That is just a fact.

scott spencer
04-19-2016, 6:59 PM
In theory, there should be little to no difference..... however, in reality, it's not at all uncommon to find that a given 120v circuit is being pushed close enough to it's limits to exhibit some voltage loss. If you have 220v available, make the switch....you might not notice a difference, but you might also be pleasantly surprised by faster startups and faster recovery from load, which gives the uncanny illusion that your saw just got more powerful. A 220v circuit will split the amp load across two hot leads, meaning it's far less likely to ever suffer from voltage loss given the same motor load.

You should be able to just change the plug to fit your 220v outlet and rewiring the motor, but it's always worth checking the manual to be sure.

Art Mann
04-19-2016, 7:10 PM
In other words, the 120 VAC wiring is inadequate.

dennis thompson
04-19-2016, 7:19 PM
I changed my jet contractor saw and it made a huge difference in performance. The difference is not just in pulling fewer amps during startup. The saw just feels more powerful and powers through thick hardwood much easier than with 120V using the same sharp blade.

Fortunately there was a clear diagram on the motor for rewiring the circuit. I think the reconfiguring of the switch (if any) was done at the motor circuit box (located on the motor). First thing to check is whether your saw is pre-configured to allow 220 (with the appropriate terminal posts for minor rerouting of the wiring). There should be something to the effect of 120/220 listed on the motor identification plate. You will need to replace the power cord and plug with one rated for 220. A little bit of on-line research on wiring 220 and you should be fine. especially if you take your time and verify your new wiring two or three times before throwing the switch.

Apologies if you already knew all this.

Many Kind Regards . . . Allen
Allen
I called the Powermatic technical staff and they said change the wiring on the motor (obviously) and change the plug. I asked about the cords and he said There was no need to change them

Dan Friedrichs
04-20-2016, 9:20 AM
I'd still do what Chuck said - make sure the switch disconnects both wires, not just one.

Richard Precht
01-08-2017, 7:39 PM
Hello,

I see you see the Powermatic PM64 Table saw. IS IT the PM 64B model? If it is I need a BIG FAVOR,,,

I need to know the dimensions of the motor cover.

PLEASE measure the depth, width, and height of the plastic motor cover on the left side of the machine for me. Thanks! Email me at son.follower1@gmail.com or You can also text the measurements to:5717333445

I am thinking about switching my Powermatic 64 to 220v. Will I need to replace the current cords? Or the current on/off switch? Clearly I have to replace the plug.Are there Any others issues with this move to 220?
thanks

dennis thompson
01-14-2017, 7:15 PM
Hello,

I see you see the Powermatic PM64 Table saw. IS IT the PM 64B model? If it is I need a BIG FAVOR,,,

PLEASE measure the depth, width, and height of the plastic motor cover on the left side of the machine for me. Thanks! Email me at son.follower1@gmail.com or You can also text the measurements to:5717333445
Sorry.I no longer have the saw

Van Huskey
01-14-2017, 7:46 PM
Hello,

If you don't get an answer here try OWWM.