PDA

View Full Version : Trotec 80 watt now a 103 watt

TAMI WILSON
04-18-2016, 3:04 PM
He he, this baby screams now. After listening to all my whining I am now a happy camper. My new tube 80 watt came in a little hot at 103 watt. :-) Yes I made them bring a meter this time
and Jim the laser tech was very helpful.

Thank YOu to all of you for your help and encouragement.

tami

Stan Clewett
04-18-2016, 3:10 PM
Awesome Tami. Very happy to hear it has been resolved.

take care, Stan

Neville Stewart
04-18-2016, 5:59 PM
So a question to Trotec, if its reasonable to be overpowered compared to your stated wattage, what is the likelihood of being underpowered, and why aren't they accurate enough to be the stated power?

Keith Winter
04-18-2016, 6:31 PM
That's great!

Kev Williams
04-18-2016, 6:32 PM
Not that I have a lot of experience on this, but every fresh-from-the-box laser I've seen tested put out more than its rated power.

IMO, this may be on purpose so that after a bit of use and wear-down, they'll still perform AT the rated power...

Keith Winter
04-18-2016, 6:32 PM
So a question to Trotec, if its reasonable to be overpowered compared to your stated wattage, what is the likelihood of being underpowered, and why aren't they accurate enough to be the stated power?

Tubes aren't made by Trotec. They outsource that. I believe to Synrad they make all of these manufacturers tubes I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Likely they don't know that a tube's not accurate until after it's installed. Not an excuse, but and explanation why they may not know.

TAMI WILSON
04-18-2016, 7:12 PM
my tube was made by iradion

Tubes aren't made by Trotec. They outsource that. I believe to Synrad they make all of these manufacturers tubes I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Likely they don't know that a tube's not accurate until after it's installed. Not an excuse, but and explanation why they may not know.

Keith Winter
04-18-2016, 7:23 PM
You're right Iradion makes their tubes synrad makes some of the other manufacturers. Thanks Tami.

Glen Monaghan
04-18-2016, 9:36 PM
It's bad PR to sell a product that doesn't meet the published specification so pretty unlikely to get an underpowered tube (from Western manufacturers; most of us know the specs-manship ploy commonly used with Chinese glass tubes to rate them at unreasonably high current that will prematurely destroy them). They usually outperform spec at installation time for basically the same reason that light bulbs are typically a bit brighter when new than spec'd, and solar panels generate more power when new than spec'd. There are always manufacturing differences/tolerances, and the actual performance deteriorates over time (often somewhat quicker when new than after a break-in period). In order to meet spec at installation and at least through the break-in period, they build in a little extra performance. However, I think the "extra" is usually on the order of 5-10% so getting 103W from an "80W" tube most likely means they had a tube that was made to be sold as a 100W model but didn't have sufficient yield to pass muster and, as a consequence, they put it into the 80W bin. That's my guess...

Don Corbeil
04-18-2016, 10:13 PM
However, I think the "extra" is usually on the order of 5-10% so getting 103W from an "80W" tube most likely means they had a tube that was made to be sold as a 100W model but didn't have sufficient yield to pass muster and, as a consequence, they put it into the 80W bin. That's my guess...

Glen, doesn't the trotec 100W tube require a different power supply than the 80W? At least that's what I was told by trotec tech when I inquired about upgrading to 100W some time in future.

Jiten Patel
04-19-2016, 5:05 AM
We had similar after both tube replacements on our 400. The first put out around 90w and the new one put out over 100. They do tail off after a while which can be seen when you have to adjust your settings. But you should get a good few months (we use ours 12 hours a day so scale accordingly). Glad you got it sorted.

Glen Monaghan
04-19-2016, 3:04 PM
Glen, doesn't the trotec 100W tube require a different power supply than the 80W? At least that's what I was told by trotec tech when I inquired about upgrading to 100W some time in future.
Possibly, I don't know. If so, then my guess about it being an underpowered 100W tube would be wrong, but the general procedure is common across industries. For example, Intel makes a batch of processors or memory chips, tests them, and bins them into different speeds. They can sell the faster ones for more money than the slower ones, and even package memory chips with faulty sections as smaller/lower capacity parts rather than just trashcanning them (for example, a 1 gigabit chip with a fault might be packaged as a half gigabit chip, just disabling the half with the fault).

Keith Winter
04-19-2016, 3:47 PM

I think you're thinking if the 120 watt. Yes the 120w has a different power supply not sure about the 100w

Ali Kemp
04-19-2016, 8:07 PM
The 100 and 120 watt speedy 400s are both 220 when I bought mine I asked about moving up in the future, and was told it would be almost as expensive as buying a whole new machine, apparently quite a few things need to be changed.

Dave Sheldrake
04-19-2016, 10:46 PM
Synrads are

(Ti)

60 watt 48V 18A
80 watt 48V 22A
100 watt 48V 35A

On the firestar T the voltage and current are quite different between the 80 and the 100 watt (36/55 & 30/75)

my 120 watt RF is water cooled, my 80 watt is air cooled.

Keith Winter
04-20-2016, 10:42 AM
The 100 and 120 watt speedy 400s are both 220 when I bought mine I asked about moving up in the future, and was told it would be almost as expensive as buying a whole new machine, apparently quite a few things need to be changed.

Guess they both require them then.

Don I'd hesitate to page for the upgrade from 80w to 100w, I don't think you'd see a lot of difference. Now the 120w there is definitely a difference there, but if you have to swap a lot of parts it might be more economical to instead 1) buy a second 80w OR 2) a new 120w and sell your 80w.

Trish Steding
05-03-2016, 2:16 PM
Hello All,

Quantifying wattage is not always an exact science because generating the beam is based on controlling a mixture of gases. The rated wattage of a CO2 laser source is the minimum power you will receive from said source. Laser source manufacturers such as Iradion over-power the source to compensate for the gases settling. It is difficult to control the gases for an exact power output. To answer the question about power supply, yes Don, the 100w and above requires a 220 power supply.

Don Corbeil
05-03-2016, 4:30 PM
Keith, Trish, thanks for the info.