PDA

View Full Version : Laguna LT20

Patrick Kane
04-18-2016, 1:27 PM
Thanks to everyone for helping my make a BS decision. It arrived safe and sound before the weekend. Scared the hell out of me when it was coming down the lift gate, because the whole thing was wobbling, but thankfully it didn't fall 4-5' to its death. Once it was in my driveway, I quickly learned that I was a dumby and didn't measure the clearheight of my deck heading into the garage and my shop. As you can see, too tall! After some uncomfortable lowering and raising of the machine, it settled into its resting place--well, its almost resting place. I think im going to move my lumber rack down 2-3 feet and give myself 2-3' additional clearance from the jointer outfeed. As it rests today, I can joint a 6' board without having to move the bandsaw, but I would rather have it completely out of the way for the rare time I do 8-9' boards. Thankfully, I have about an inch to spare below the joists, so I can wheel it around with a bit of freedom and ease now that its inside. I ran an outlet to it yesterday and fired it up; it runs very well. A couple questions concerning setting it up etc. One, does anyone have experience with swapping the allen bolts on their old ceramic guides to thumbscrews? I have the allen heads right now, except for the thrust guide, and I would prefer it to be tool-less. I emailed Laguna, but thought actual owners might be able to help me better. Next, this is my only bandsaw, and I will need to cut the occasional curve. What is a good secondary blade to put on this machine for general curve cutting? It came with 1" carbide blade, that I assume will be good enough for ripping and resawing. Concerning the existing blade, as a noob to carbide blades and bandsaws in general, how can I tell if its good enough to use without sending out for sharpening? Cut with it and see if it drifts? Lastly, are their decent retrofits of adding a second 4" dust port under the table? I see a lot of MM series saws with this, but mine only has a 4" port in the lower wheel cabinet. Thanks for the advice, I have lots to learn.335969335970335971

Erik Loza
04-18-2016, 1:43 PM
My thoughts, in blue, below. Best of luck with it.

Erik

...this is my only bandsaw, and I will need to cut the occasional curve. What is a good secondary blade to put on this machine for general curve cutting? Theoretically, you can put any width blade you want to on there but in the real world, 3/8" or 1/4" at the smallest. On the MM bandsaws, you will need a different guide setup, such as the Carter Stabilizer, for blades that narrow. I assume yours will be the same.

It came with 1" carbide blade, that I assume will be good enough for ripping and resawing... Depends on the condition of the blade but in case, never on green wood. Only dry wood.

Concerning the existing blade, as a noob to carbide blades and bandsaws in general, how can I tell if its good enough to use without sending out for sharpening? Cut with it and see if it drifts? Yes

Lastly, are their decent retrofits of adding a second 4" dust port under the table? I see a lot of MM series saws with this, but mine only has a 4" port in the lower wheel cabinet... Personally, I wouldn't go through the hassle. Bandsaws are dusty, no matter what, and the best thing you can do is make sure the actual dust collector is up to snuff.

Andrew Hughes
04-18-2016, 2:29 PM
Nice saw Patrick,I glad your saw made it safe and sound.My 20 inch Bs crowds my jointer also once and while I move and then move it back.I don't really have a choice because of dust collection.
I also agree with Eriks suggestion Esp cutting only Dry wood with the resaw King. I feel like it time to sharpen when you have to push hard on a cut and the surface is wavy or poor.

Mike Wilkins
04-18-2016, 3:19 PM
I used to run 1/4" blades on my LT18 on a regular basis. But these days only use 1" blades and the Resaw King. I have 2 smaller band saws that always have a 1/4" blade on them for the scroll cuts and curves. I have also used 1/2" blades for wide curves on the LT.

I don't change blades that much since you have to go through the routine of re-setting the guides. You will love that big boy for many years to come.