PDA

View Full Version : Adding another Laser... Epilog VS Kern

brian fithian
04-18-2016, 10:05 AM
Getting very busy and looking to add a bigger laser. Deciding between the Epilog Fusion 40 and Kern HSE25. Would like any feedback, good or bad, on both models. The open bed sure seems like a plus starting off

Scott Marquez
04-18-2016, 10:22 AM
Brian,
What kind of work do you plan to do with the new machine, mostly cutting or engraving? Or ??
Scott

brian fithian
04-18-2016, 10:32 AM
Mostly cutting acrylic. Lot and lots of acrylic. Cant keep up with my small bed machine

Richard Rumancik
04-18-2016, 10:39 AM
Brian, I can't give advise on the two machines but just wondering what you have in mind for fume extraction if using an open bed. This would be an important factor in your selection to ensure you can handle the air quality requirement. You don't want to be breathing PMMA vapors all day.

Patrick Gardner
04-18-2016, 11:01 AM
I've got the the Kern HSE 150 and 2 epilogs. The Kern is much better. I use mine 8 hours a day vector cutting acrylic shapes and doing the occasional raster engraving job.
The Kern is expensive because it's worth it.

brian fithian
04-18-2016, 11:48 AM
How does the kern ventilate

Keith Winter
04-18-2016, 12:11 PM
Getting very busy and looking to add a bigger laser. Deciding between the Epilog Fusion 40 and Kern HSE25. Would like any feedback, good or bad, on both models. The open bed sure seems like a plus starting off

Very different machines, Kern is obviously much larger. Would the larger size of the kern bed make your processes more efficient?

Keith Winter
04-18-2016, 12:12 PM
How does the kern ventilate

Hi Brian, these types of machines ventilate through the bottom. If you question is more how well does it ventilate you'll have to wait for Patrick to reply on that one.

Patrick Gardner
04-18-2016, 12:28 PM
The Kern has both a downdraft table and an updraft exhaust. It has 2 seperate blowers. I use paper to block off unused areas of the table to increase vacuum on the table. The updraft vacuum is built into the gantry and works very well when raster engraving. The downdraft table when properly used will pull a bow out of a piece of plex so that it lays perfectly flat

Braden Todd
04-18-2016, 8:52 PM
What wattage are you looking at? Also, do you have the room for a 52x100 bed? It's really nice to order in full sheets and just lay them down to cut.

brian fithian
04-18-2016, 9:09 PM
Got plenty of room. That is another thought... Not having to cut down the size of the sheets. Looking at going at least 100watts

Keith Outten
04-18-2016, 9:19 PM
I often outsource large laser jobs to a local company that has a large format Kern Laser, the machine is amazing.

I want one :)

Braden Todd
04-18-2016, 9:42 PM
Also, suppliers not cutting them down saves a decent amount of money on the acrylic costs. I love my Kern and have 2 epilogs. I hope to grow more over the next few years and add another Kern, they've been amazing to work with. Have you contacted them at all yet? I dealt with Keith and even after the sale he is always there to help me out.

How is thick of acrylic are you going to be cutting? I went 400 watts just for the extra punch and speed, but I think I may do a 200 watt for the next machine. It'll be a little slower cutting but it'd be able to tackle thick acrylic well still.

Really do do love our Kern and it really sets our shop apart from the rest.

brian fithian
04-18-2016, 11:27 PM
I do mostly 1/16 acrylic right now but thinking the Kern will open up a lot more products for me