PDA

View Full Version : Made myself a wooden plane collection

Kees Heiden
04-18-2016, 6:02 AM
Hopefully David Weaver will be proud about me! He sure was the inspiration source to start on a plane making binge. It took close to three months of sparetime to make this collection.

Jointer, 27" 2 1/2"iron
Tryplane, 21" 2 1/4" iron
Foreplane, 16" 2 1/8" iron
Jackplane, 14" 2" iron
Smoother, 7" 2" iron
All double iron of course.
Routerplane.

All in all a lot of fun. Not always easy, but I think I learned a lot. I will for sure make more planes in the future, but I need to do a few more serious projects first.

Frederick Skelly
04-18-2016, 6:08 AM
That sure is a nice batch of planes Kees. What kind of wood did you use?
Fred

Kees Heiden
04-18-2016, 6:29 AM
It's all made of quartersawn beech. Not the best quality stuff, I like to call it pallet wood. It came from a machine factory who uses it for crating large machines. But overall, in between all the splits and checks, I could find enough usable material.

Oskar Sedell
04-18-2016, 7:32 AM
very nice Kees! I also learned a lot from David W and going towards a collection like yours. Have to source more wood now..

Brian Holcombe
04-18-2016, 7:46 AM
Nice work Kees!!

Pat Barry
04-18-2016, 7:48 AM
The whole set looks great Kees!

Reinis Kanders
04-18-2016, 10:44 AM
Pretty cool set. When do you use the 16" foreplane?

Kees Heiden
04-18-2016, 10:50 AM
Thanks for the compiments guys.

I started to make the 14" jackplane, but made some critical mistakes, so I continued with a new piece of wood and could squeeze 16" out of it. Then I realised I could save the 14"-er anyway, so now I have two jackplanes. I decided to call one of them a foreplane, which really is just another name for jackplane. The fore has a bit less camber and is nicer to use with the grain. The 14" jack has about 8" of camber and is great for across the grain work or in very soft wood.

Mike Holbrook
04-18-2016, 2:39 PM
Nice Kees!

I have been trying to figure out if I want to change my designs to work with double irons. Where did you get the double irons? Getting the wedges to fit well was one of the big challenges so I have been procrastinating.

Malcolm Schweizer
04-18-2016, 3:49 PM
Very nice set, and very inspiring.

Kees Heiden
04-18-2016, 3:58 PM
The irons are all from old planes, or from motly collections of tools I acquired along the way. It's remarkable with how much old iron you can end up after several years of collecting, uncollecting, selling and buying. Many old wooden planes are too far gone to be made usable again, but the irons usually are still fine. These are almost all from Nooitgedagt because that is the main staple in old wooden planes overhere.

Jeff Heath
04-18-2016, 5:29 PM
One word......

Nice!

Adam Stevens2
04-18-2016, 5:41 PM
I suspect it would take me all three months to make just one of those! Nicely done. How's the performance?

James Pallas
04-18-2016, 6:12 PM
The fleet is in! What a challenge for you. Not just one but a whole lifetimes worth all at once. Nice work.
Jim

Christopher Charles
04-18-2016, 6:20 PM
Great work! And i'd say 3 months is Fast!

Patrick Chase
04-18-2016, 7:32 PM
I decided to call one of them a foreplane, which really is just another name for jackplane.

I don't think that's historically true, though I'm sure Warren will straighten us all out momentarily :-).

Both types evolved for the same purpose (roughing). but the English Fore plane was traditionally larger than the Continental and later American Jack. The prototypical "modern fore" is the Stanley #6 at 18" long with a 2-3/8" blade, but my understanding is that that's a bit longer than an average traditional Fore.

Very nice fleet of planes. It's been interesting to watch you build them up over the months.

Derek Cohen
04-18-2016, 7:50 PM
Hopefully David Weaver will be proud about me! He sure was the inspiration source to start on a plane making binge. It took close to three months of sparetime to make this collection.

Jointer, 27" 2 1/2"iron
Jackplane, 14" 2" iron
Smoother, 7" 2" iron
Routerplane.

All in all a lot of fun. Not always easy, but I think I learned a lot. I will for sure make more planes in the future, but I need to do a few more serious projects first.

Not quite, Kees!

Now to build a rebate plane, moving fillister, plough, block plane ........ :p

Very well done! They look the part. And in quick time!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
04-18-2016, 8:31 PM
Nice work Kees.

jtk

Roy Lindberry
04-18-2016, 8:40 PM

Jointer, 27" 2 1/2"iron
Jackplane, 14" 2" iron
Smoother, 7" 2" iron
Routerplane.

Kees,

Were these laminated in any way, or done traditionally?

Warren Mickley
04-18-2016, 9:34 PM

I am not sure that Moxon (1678) knew what he was talking about here; it could be that these two planes were similar but set up differently.

It is rare to see these two terms in the same place, but the Seaton chest inventory (1796) has a single iron Jack, a double iron Jack, and a double iron Foreplane. In the chest itself there are two 14 inch planes; it is generally assumed that the Foreplane is missing and that it was slightly longer. There is certainly some overlap between the two terms. The term Foreplane died out in the early 19th century or so.

Steve Voigt
04-18-2016, 10:58 PM

Well as I told you elsewhere, they look great. I don't think Dave can see them here, but I imagine he's seen them on IG. And I'm sure he's pleased; I think he wonders if any of the people who watch his videos actually make planes.

Kees Heiden
04-19-2016, 4:01 AM
Kees,

Were these laminated in any way, or done traditionally?

Don't worry, I paid my dues :D It's done all traditional. I use the drillpress to make a big hole in the middle of the mortise, that helps to lessen the load a little, but the rest is all chopping and paring.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-zi20W7IG4hE/Vq54rPFvG9I/AAAAAAAACPg/Rds_k9cWv3Y/s1600/foto%2B1.JPG

Jim Belair
04-19-2016, 9:30 AM
That's a great collection. I like the detailing on the chamfers.

Joe Tilson
04-19-2016, 10:13 AM
Very nice indeed, Kees.
Don't stop now!

Kees Heiden
04-19-2016, 11:06 AM
First getting a bunch of other stuff out of the way. I do have more planemaking ideas though.