PDA

View Full Version : Hand Tools Question

Tyler Huber
04-17-2016, 10:32 PM
Hello Creekers! I don't post to much here, i read alot though. With the LV free shipping I decided I would get a new mallet (they're cabinetmakers mallet) however it's free shipping over $40. The mallet is $39.50. Always seems to happen to me. But anyway, I'm not a beginner, I have all the essentials, marking, measuring, planes, blah blah blah. I'm looking for something "small" to add. There is so much stuff in there that seems so useful. So my question is what is that one small thing you always have in your hand? I was thinking about the veritas precision square (first item under squares in marking section) but I've already got 2 starretts, a 12" combo and 6" double so it's seems redundant. Free shipping ends tomorrow so let's here what you've all got!

Tyler

Kirby Krieger
04-17-2016, 11:10 PM
Call them in the morning and tell them to bill you $40 and ship the mallet free?

John Crawford
04-17-2016, 11:22 PM
Don't forget they sell all kinds of hardware, knobs, feet, etc. Surely you need some kind of knob! Gardening stuff too, if you have a gardener in the house.

Tyler Huber
04-17-2016, 11:27 PM
I thought about that actually, but it kind of worked out to my favor because the wife isn't quite as understanding about the whole spending money for quality stuff (why do need that $100 square thingy? I just saw the same exact thing at lowes yesterday for $12) So it started with, I'm just getting the mallet, now it is, well it's $.50 short of free shipping so I have to get something else. Thankfully she doesn't think like you Kirby!

Tyler

Mike Holbrook
04-17-2016, 11:31 PM
The Pica marking pencils and pens are very handy. Then there is the Fixpencil, which is excellent but more money, or you could just get a box of LV pencils....There is the Japanese nail set which comes in handy for a variety of uses....slippery low friction tape, two sided tape...

Tyler Huber
04-17-2016, 11:34 PM
Well last year she was going to be a gardner, bought about 10 bags of soil, mulch, and liners and all that. Guess where it is? The garage still.. I don't keep any hardware on hand usually. I just buy it when I need it that way I can get what will match the project good. I'm mainly looking for ideas along the lines of stuff like awls (which I actually don't have and was a thought, but not sure which one would be best for cut nails as I use alot) or small rules (hence the precision square) and stuff like that. Small things that make you say "wow I'm so glad I have that" over and over.

Tyler

Luke Dupont
04-17-2016, 11:36 PM
Not sure what all is on Lee Valley, or what all you have, but just some ideas:

Scratch Awls? Birdcage Awls?
Marking Knives?
Gimlets?
Router Plane? Maybe the hand little small one?
Rasp?
Folding Measure Yardstick Thingy?

By the way, how does one navigate the LeeValley site? I can't seem to find any categories in the woodworking section. All just seems to be thrown into one big list.

William Adams
04-17-2016, 11:45 PM
I’ve been seriously considering the double-ended pocket marking gauge, as well as the set of three bronze spokeshaves and the plane screwdriver.

If you click on woodworking you should get a list of categories.

Tyler Huber
04-17-2016, 11:48 PM
The Lee Valley site, when you go to the woodworking tab and click there's all the categories. Planes,chisels,marking,finishing, all that good stuff. Then you click on one and it has all the products for that category. I have planes, basically all that are needed, knives, gauges, squares, measuring stuff, and more. I guess this was a little to open ended or not enough detailed question. I might just add some stuff to the cart and do the good old enie menie minie mo. If anyone uses a specific awl for pre drilling cut nails that would be helpful. LV has their chisel point brad, and 2 birdcage awls, plus some marking ones too I think.

Tyler Huber
04-17-2016, 11:59 PM
William that's almost the type of answers I'm looking for. (I'm told I'm very indecisive so thats probably why this post is here.) I'm not really looking for a "cutting" tool per se like, the little tiny baby block plane or small spoke shave or something like that. I think my thoughts were a little off on this post.. or mabe a little to much jack and coke which resulted in off thought.

Hilton Ralphs
04-18-2016, 12:47 AM
There's always something to get to move you over the threshold. Add some screws, magnets, figure eight washers, brass escutcheon pins, a packet of knobs on closeout. Whatever.

Some of their in-house (aka Chestnut Tools) stuff can be a bit iffy at times but something I bought recently is actually pretty good. It was on The Schwartz Christmas list last December and is fantastic for sharpening scissors and other stuff. Look for the carbide 'Universal Sharpener' under 'Knife Sharpening'. It's very well made.

Allan Speers
04-18-2016, 2:36 AM
Marking knife.

Mechanical pencil.

small shoulder square.

Robert Hartmann
04-18-2016, 4:38 AM
If you have a brace, the 1/4" hex driver for a brace is pretty handy. The problem I have with Lee Valley is I always find something I want to buy!

Marty Schlosser
04-18-2016, 5:31 AM
Here's a measuring accessory I can't live without; I use it for many applications nearly too numerous to mention here - the Czeck edge ruler stop: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=67290&cat=1,42936,42945

Nicholas Lawrence
04-18-2016, 7:11 AM
They sell several varieties of cut nails. If you use a lot of them, a bag would put you over.

Malcolm Schweizer
04-18-2016, 7:50 AM
+1 for the Picas pencil and get a set of the white lead if you work dark woods.

Robert Engel
04-18-2016, 8:48 AM
The perfect customer - wiggle a worm and they will bite.

If you have to ask if you need it, you probably don't.

That being said, 2 or 3 marking gauges can be pretty handy.

:)

Patrick Chase
04-18-2016, 10:35 AM
One of their little shop knives (the plastic-handled ones with the A2 blades). They're less than the cost of shipping and IMO you can never have too many of those around.

They also sell a nice Swiss-made 3 mm lead holder with built-in pointer, but that's more than the cost of shipping, and the 2 mm ones you can get on Amazon etc are more than good enough.

William Adams
04-18-2016, 10:43 AM
FWIW, if I were in such a situation, I'd find a bit of hardware which was less than the cost of shipping, but which would be suitable for use on a project for my significant other, then make something nice using the "free" hardware.

Sadly, it's discussions such as this which often have me buying overpriced tools from Duluth Trading, 'cause it's easier to just add them there when buying clothes (which the finance committee will always agree to), than explain the credit charge at some other store.

Tyler Huber
04-18-2016, 2:30 PM
I'll take a look at the Picas again. I have a few of their plastic marking knives which are handy to have in a pinch. I'll probably end up getting something by Pica or one of the awls they have.