PDA

View Full Version : Milwaukee 5625 called it quits today

Brad Schmid
04-17-2016, 10:24 PM
After 9 years, my 5625 gave up today :(
It's lived it's whole life in a table. I was running a panel raising bit and the motor quit. I cycled the power switch and it restarted, few minutes later it did it again. Since I was in the middle of a panel I recycled the switch again and it fired up. Went a little more and breaker trips. I wasn't feeding it hard. Motor was pretty hot. Bummer. I'd get a Shaper if I had any more room in my shop...

I'll probably take it to my local Milwaukee Service center for diagnosis and repair if it makes sense. But i'll need to buy another one probably tomorrow to keep working. Doing some searching it looks like best price I can find for a new one is about $309. If anybody knows where I can find a better price (I only need the motor) I'd appreciate a heads up on where.

Thanks

Jerry Miner
04-17-2016, 10:40 PM
Did you look at the brushes? After nine years, it might be time to replace them.

One of my 5625's quit a while back. In that case, it was some dust in the switch. Blew out the dust and went back to work.

Brad Schmid
04-17-2016, 10:53 PM
Did you look at the brushes? After nine years, it might be time to replace them.

One of my 5625's quit a while back. In that case, it was some dust in the switch. Blew out the dust and went back to work.

I haven't yet, but I'll take a look tomorrow just in case. Since it was hot/tripping breaker I just figured the worst... The strange thing was, it kind of got weak and slowed a bit before actually quitting each time. Once I was able to back off and it sped back up for a few seconds.

Andy Giddings
04-17-2016, 11:01 PM
Is it the same at every speed? I know my Porter Cable 7518 does the same thing but at the lowest speed only. I suspect its the electronic speed control unit but have not bothered checking it as I rarely use the slowest speed. As you're panel raising I assumed you're running it at low speed with a large raising cutter

Greg R Bradley
04-17-2016, 11:12 PM
I bet wood pitch on the commutator & brushes. Clean it out with electronics cleaner and it should work for long enough to order brushes and bearings as its probably time.

Brad Schmid
04-17-2016, 11:13 PM
Is it the same at every speed?
You are correct, I was running it at the slowest speed. After the second time it quit, I bumped up the speed a little bit and it did it a third time. Not sure if it happens at all speeds, but at least at more than one speed. Hopefully the service center won't charge an arm and a leg to diagnose it... If I can fix it (or get it fixed), at least I'll have a spare.

Brad Schmid
04-18-2016, 9:34 AM
I bet wood pitch on the commutator & brushes. Clean it out with electronics cleaner and it should work for long enough to order brushes and bearings as its probably time.

Well... I just pulled it apart. Shockingly it looks brand new inside. Virtually zero dust. Commutator is perfectly clean. I pulled one of the brushes and perfectly clean as well, almost no wear. I really can't believe after all the work it's done it looks this good...

I wonder if there's any measurements that can be done to check the speed control unit? I'm assuming that's what the thing is sitting on top after removing the cover...

Brad Schmid
04-18-2016, 11:33 AM
In case anyone is interested, Acme Tools has 10% off one item today with promo code TAXCREDIT.
With this I was able to get a new 5625 for $278.10 no shipping and no tax. That's probably the best price I'm going to find so it's on the way.

Andy Giddings
04-18-2016, 12:34 PM
Brad, you can get the speed control units for about $60 (just Google Electronic Feedback Module for Milwaukee 5625) but I've never replaced one so don't know how involved it is. From the photo looks like a couple of push on connectors. Unfortunately I think you'll either need to take it to the repair center or risk trying different fixes to get it working again

Greg R Bradley
04-18-2016, 12:49 PM
Well... I just pulled it apart. Shockingly it looks brand new inside. Virtually zero dust. Commutator is perfectly clean. I pulled one of the brushes and perfectly clean as well, almost no wear. I really can't believe after all the work it's done it looks this good.....
That's interesting, the local service center finds that to be a common problem with those but only when used upside down (router table). I think it depends if you have dust collection.

Brad Schmid
04-18-2016, 6:39 PM
Yeah, I do have dust collection on both top and bottom, that's probably why it was so clean.

Brad Schmid
04-18-2016, 6:44 PM
Brad, you can get the speed control units for about $60 (just Google Electronic Feedback Module for Milwaukee 5625) but I've never replaced one so don't know how involved it is. From the photo looks like a couple of push on connectors. Unfortunately I think you'll either need to take it to the repair center or risk trying different fixes to get it working again

It is pretty simple for sure, 1 screw and 3 push on connectors. Looks like i'll just take to the service center to get a definitive diagnosis...

glenn bradley
04-18-2016, 7:06 PM
Well... I just pulled it apart. Shockingly it looks brand new inside. Virtually zero dust. Commutator is perfectly clean. I pulled one of the brushes and perfectly clean as well, almost no wear. .

That's impressive. From the manual:

"Under normal conditions, relubrication is not necessary until the motor brushes need to be replaced. After six months to one year, depending on use"

Mine is 8 years old . . . . think I'll take a look ;-)

Brad Schmid
04-18-2016, 7:29 PM
That's impressive. From the manual:

"Under normal conditions, relubrication is not necessary until the motor brushes need to be replaced. After six months to one year, depending on use"

Mine is 8 years old . . . . think I'll take a look ;-)

Interesting... There was a manual? :confused: :D

Curt Harms
04-19-2016, 9:02 AM
It is pretty simple for sure, 1 screw and 3 push on connectors. Looks like i'll just take to the service center to get a definitive diagnosis...

You could short across the speed controller. If it runs (full speed only) it's most likely the speed controller. I did this with a Porter Cable. The speed controller had 3 wires - black, white & red. I shorted black & white and away it went. It seems like speed controllers and to a lesser extent switches are the Achilles heels of routers.