PDA

View Full Version : Please help me finish this gift! :-)

Gary Kittleson
04-17-2016, 7:08 PM
My son is engaged, and the wedding is coming up (end of July, but he comes home from college in a month). The bride's father and I are collaborating on a gift - he repurposed/finished an old sewing machine stand, and I'm to provide the table for it. I've got the top done, and am working on the drawer, but need some help. I'm just a duffer - not a lot of experience - horrible at design work. Basically, it is a drawer suspended from the table top. There will be a plaque below the drawer, attached to the stand.

The SketchUp drawing is an old one - there have been a couple of changes (most notably, there is a face frame - 3/4 upper & lower rail, with 7/8 corner stiles). The trouble I'm having is with the drawer. The drawer will be inset. I have the face frame attached to the sides and back (sides/back utilize a box joint). The inside of the sides are flush with the face frame.

Question is: how do I do the drawer? I'm planning on Half-blind dovetail (Leigh jig) front to side, with through dovetails side to back. I do not want drawer runners visible when the drawer is open. Not sure I can get enough height to have one underneath the drawer. I have milled some "runners" that the drawer can sit on, but I can't just put the drawer in the opening without something else, can I? Also uncertain how to mount the runners (1 shown on the left in the photo). I have to have the bottom removable, so do I glue them to the left and right sides?

I'm a bit out of my league here, and could use some guidance. I'd prefer not to start from scratch, so please be gentle... :-)

Thanks in advance!

Andy Giddings
04-17-2016, 10:52 PM
Gary, from my limited experience I think the only item missing is the kicker at the top (can be the same as the bottom but just above the level of the face frame). This will stop the drawer dropping when you pull it out. Not sure why there is not enough height as it looks like there is room for a kicker that's identical to the runner you have now?