PDA

View Full Version : What Brand Driver Bits Do You Prefer

Steve Kinnaird
04-17-2016, 12:28 AM
I am currently building a workbench and bought a box of 2 1/2" square drive deck screws. So far I am pleased but I am using a cheap #2 square drive bit that came in a bit assortment with no name.

I am constantly stripping out screw heads and wearing out phillips and torx bits.

So what brand of bits do you feel works the best?

Dimitrios Fradelakis
04-17-2016, 1:01 AM
Wiha Terminator bits are my favorite.

Gerry Grzadzinski
04-17-2016, 7:01 AM
Wiha Terminator bits are my favorite.

I've just started using these as well, and am happy with them.

For square drive, I've previously been using bits from McFeeleys for the last 20 years with excellent results.

But I just bough my first impact driver, and a few days of research led me to the Wiha Terminators.

Paul F Franklin
04-17-2016, 7:48 AM
For Phillips head I've had excellent experience with these: http://www.amazon.com/3-80202-Phillips-ACR-Bit-6pk/dp/B002UZAXX2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

They have the ACR feature. Bought a 5 pack over a year ago and am still using the 1st bit after driving hundreds of screws with it.

Bob Hoffmann
04-17-2016, 10:13 AM
I have settled on dewalt bits. The ones with the yellow shaft. They did a very good job of forming the bit, so it fits extremely well in screws. They last a really long time, and they are a lot cheaper then the wha bits.

I was at a show in Atlanta, and the Bosch stand had an impact bit that was double headed -- meaning that the end that fits in the drill was also a driver ... they are just coming out -- have not seen them, but it would be a nice option to not have to carry around so many different bits for the different screw sizes.

Back to recommended bits -- I also used Milwaukee impact bits and Mikita ones, and the Dewalt ones were better IMHO ...

Ben Rivel
04-17-2016, 10:57 AM
Used DeWalt bits for years and since I take care when driving they tend to last reasonably well. However recently I began swapping everything I can in the shop of this nature to Wiha and yea you can tell they are better quality. I get my Wiha stuff from Carbide Processors. Best prices, free shipping on orders >$150 and no tax for most and they give 10% everything with the "creekers" coupon code.

Javed Akhtar
04-17-2016, 1:14 PM
Dewalt is my go-to. I've been using the same set for around 5 years.

Bill Orbine
04-17-2016, 6:27 PM
Wiha Terminators are my new favorite. Big time!

Anyway....Are you having trouble with stainless steel square head deck screws? The heads of the stainless screws are easily stripped out. I very seldom have trouble with square head screws unless it is made from stainless steel.

Gerry Grzadzinski
04-17-2016, 8:07 PM
Best prices, free shipping on orders >$150

I got mine from KC Tool. Free shipping @ $50

Gary Yoder
04-17-2016, 9:09 PM
I was at a show in Atlanta, and the Bosch stand had an impact bit that was double headed -- meaning that the end that fits in the drill was also a driver ... they are just coming out -- have not seen them, but it would be a nice option to not have to carry around so many different bits for the different screw sizes.

I bought a set of those... wouldn't get them again. They do not fit well into my ridgid impact. Maybe a different impact would work fine? Don't know.

Greg R Bradley
04-17-2016, 10:04 PM
Wiha Terminators
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?238928-Wiha-Terminator-Bits-from-Carbide-Processors

Just bought a bunch from Carbide Processors and everyone loves them. Might be a bit of overkill for 2 1/2" deck screws but a pair of square drive bits should last you for thousands of screws.

Rich Riddle
04-18-2016, 6:29 AM
I purchase mine from the big box stores and tend to go with DeWalt. I don't break them nearly as much as lose them.

Steve Kinnaird
04-18-2016, 11:42 PM
Wiha Terminators are my new favorite. Big time!

Anyway....Are you having trouble with stainless steel square head deck screws? The heads of the stainless screws are easily stripped out. I very seldom have trouble with square head screws unless it is made from stainless steel.

Yes, Stainless Steel Square Drive 2 1/2" Deck Screws. Only Square Drive I could find at Home Depot.
Have only had 2 strip out, thought it might have been the cheap bits.

Steve Kinnaird
04-18-2016, 11:50 PM
Thanks for the replies and recommendations.
Wiha Terminators certainly sound like an excellent driver.
Will have to get a few and give them a try.

I did pick up a pack of Dewalt & a pack of Milwaukee with what I figure is a torq shaft.
Needed to get the work benches finish.

Will put and order in for Wiha next week.

Again, THANKS!!!

Steve Kinnaird
04-18-2016, 11:51 PM
I purchase mine from the big box stores and tend to go with DeWalt. I don't break them nearly as much as lose them.

So true, I am sure I have hundreds somewhere LOL
I now make sure I keep them all in a magnetic tray (when I remember) :)

Larry Edgerton
04-19-2016, 7:02 AM
I use GRK screws and they come with a bit in the box that will easily do two boxes of screws.

Greg Hines, MD
04-19-2016, 10:59 AM
I have some el-cheapo from Sams that I bought 20 years ago, and the Phillips bits are still going strong. I also got a gift set (also from Sams I think) with drill bits and assorted drivers, and I use them infrequently. Lately, most of my screws have been Robertson style deck screws or Kreg pocket hole screws, and the long drivers either from Kreg or Woodcraft brand seem to work best. I also have a Porter Cable set that came with a clever little case that fits into the big pocket of a bucket boss for carrying tools that I use a lot.

I constantly lament the Blue/Orange Borg going to star bits over square head bits. 15 years ago, all you could find were Robertson bit screws, and I love them. I never have one strip out, and they lock onto the bit so you do not need to hold it to get it started.

Doc

Larry Edgerton
04-19-2016, 11:08 AM
I prefer Torx heads, but the box stores use a proprietary head on a lot of their screws which means you have to use their junk bits. I refuse to be drawn into that crap, so I use GRK almost exclusively that use standard Torx bits that you can buy anywhere, and as mentioned above they put a new bit in every box. Cheap screws cost me money. Its all about the money. I gave away all of my Philips screws except for hardware ones that show.

If you don't have a impact driver, get one. Short learning curve so you don't sink too far, and never look back. My Milwaukee's are a lot more controllable than my Makita's.

roger wiegand
04-19-2016, 2:39 PM
I've been awfully happy since switching 90% over to torx heads. Haven't worn a bit out yet, though I've lost a goodly number of them. The rest of my work is in antique piano and organ restoration where anything other than a slotted plain steel screw just looks completely awful and out of place. No power driving them I'm afraid.

Curt Harms
04-20-2016, 8:43 AM
I'm not sure if this would work for your application but I have a Makita branded version of this:

http://apexbits.com/apex-1-4-hex-power-drive-slotted-bits-with-finder-sleeve.aspx

It works surprisingly well with slotted screws.

roger wiegand
04-20-2016, 2:27 PM
Thanks Curt-- I've tried those and always seem to end up bunging up the head with them. My own incompetence, no doubt. It's not so many screws usually to be a problem. By the time you've made a properly sized pilot hole and scrounged an appropriate old or NOS cut screw, driving it in by hand with a correctly sized screwdriver isn't so bad.

I'm not sure if this would work for your application but I have a Makita branded version of this:

http://apexbits.com/apex-1-4-hex-power-drive-slotted-bits-with-finder-sleeve.aspx

It works surprisingly well with slotted screws.

Bill Ryall
04-20-2016, 2:55 PM
I've been buying exclusively Milwaukee branded bits. They hold up pretty well, albeit a bit more expensive than their yellow branded competition. (I won't buy the yellow ones. Broken way too many of them)

Art Mann
04-20-2016, 7:54 PM
Am I the only one who regards driver bits as disposable commodity items? I buy them cheap in quantity from the big box stores and just throw them away after several days. Not even the best brands will survive the kind of (ab)use I put them through for very long.

Bill Ryall
04-21-2016, 11:53 AM
Am I the only one who regards driver bits as disposable commodity items? I buy them cheap in quantity from the big box stores and just throw them away after several days. Not even the best brands will survive the kind of (ab)use I put them through for very long.

I view them as "disposable", which is why I have fairly large quantities on hand of all the common tip styles. I'll wear them out, lose them or break them. That is why it tend to buy the Milwaukee branded ones. Very hard to wear out or break. Unfortunately, just as easy to lose as the other brands.