PDA

View Full Version : Need help Hitachi C10FL Bevel Lock Stuck

Michael McGowen
04-16-2016, 11:08 PM
Need some help figuring out how to fix the bevel lock on a Hitachi C10FL table saw I bought from a friend who is down-sizing. When I first got the machine, I checked the bevel wheel for operation and all seemed well. The saw had been left unused in my friend's garage for a couple years and while I was cleaning up the flash rust I noted a lot of sawdust and debris had collected inside the saw so I thought I'd clean that up as well. I vacuumed out the saw dust and somewhere in the cleanup process a long dormant bevel locking mechanism apparently engaged and now it is extremely difficult to move the bevel wheel. I found a lever marked bevel lock behind the wheel that raises and lowers the blade but is does not appear to be connected to anything. I would appreciate any thoughts or advice on how to fix this. Thanks

Jerry Miner
04-17-2016, 1:15 AM
I don't know that machine, but according to the manual (http://www.hitachipowertools.com.au/pdf/C10FL-3.pdf), that lever locks both elevation and bevel. It must be loosened to adjust bevel or height.

Michael McGowen
04-25-2016, 2:37 PM
Jerry, Thanks for reply. I finally remembered an old mechanics trick and put a mirror in the bottom of the cabinet so I could see behind the motor. Turns out the locking lever was too loose. The bevel locking mechanism is a half moon shaped piece of sheet metal that travels in a groove with the trunion as it pitches. This is captured between a pair of flat hardware pieces that pinch together and lock the part in place. Apparently this was so loose that when I vacuumed out the interior I wedged the clamp into the groove trapping the sheet metal plate. Once I freed that up it seems to work OK.