PDA

View Full Version : My First Creeker Visit !!

Tim Boger
04-16-2016, 8:50 PM
My wife and I had the wonderful opportunity to meet and visit with Thom Sturgill and his wife Joyce today, though our visit was only for a few hours we sure shared a lot of turning experiences and related stories.

Thom brought along a bunch of his amazing miniatures (some so small you need a tweezers to pick them up) also, some terrific examples of Pyrography and beading techniques.

I was able to share about 40 lbs of bit and pieces from my Segmenting projects, I'll bet Thom has enough material for a lifetime of turning miniatures.

I learned a few things and gained loads of inspiration .... all in all a great time !!

Thanks Thom for reminding me ... no pics, never happened.

Tim

Ken Fitzgerald
04-16-2016, 9:02 PM
Congratulations!

Len Mullin
04-16-2016, 10:41 PM
Tim, it's nice that you guys got to spend some time together, I like the saying on Thom's t-shirt. Might have to make that made into a scrollsaw pattern.
Len

Steve Schlumpf
04-17-2016, 11:25 AM
Excellent! Always great to hear when Creekers are able to get together! Great photo!

Thom Sturgill
04-17-2016, 11:43 PM
Just got back home to Florida. The visit was a highlight of the trip! I really enjoyed meeting Tim, his wife, their dogs, and seeing the shop. Wish I had more time and we could have dome some turning, but unfortunately it was not to be. And his 40# of cutoffs have to be sorted and a few pieces turned. I gifted his wife with a miniature hollow form to remember us.

John K Jordan
04-18-2016, 8:35 AM
Excellent - there is little more fun that visiting with another woodturner. Every time I'm blessed with inspiration and knowledge - human nature abhors a vacuum! On my last trip I had the pleasure of visiting with Ellis Walentine, Charlie Anderson, and David Ellsworth.

That said, my shop near Knoxville TN is always open. And take a llama for a walk!

Thom, I didn't know you did miniatures - I love them. Do you have pictures? Have you seen some of those that John Lucas made? For some you need a magnifier!

JKJ

Thom Sturgill
04-18-2016, 1:22 PM
I have posted these before. I did not take these with me.

I call these 'Dinner for One' and 'Dinner for Two' They are approximately 1:12 scale (dollhouse) Pretty much everything shown was turned by me on my lathe. What I brought in the way of miniatures was a chess set turned to this scale, some hollow forms, a goblet with a captured ring and a small goblet that is about 1/8" tall. (just because I could...). I do not have good photos of these yet.

Ray Vivian
04-18-2016, 1:49 PM
Thom, do you have any pictures of the mini chess set? Bet that took a while to make. Love those miniatures. 40 years ago I made some small doll house furniture for grand daughter. Used a dremel to rout edges of the dining set.

John K Jordan
04-18-2016, 2:32 PM
I like those, especially the idea of a dollhouse table. I haven't seen them before but I was away from all the forums for a while. I assume the goblets are made from something like acrylic rod - how do you polish them?

Do you tend to use boxwood or dogwood because of the fine grain? What about ebony or blackwood? I found cocobolo is good, cuts clean.

These things on a penny are ebony and cocobolo. I wish I had used a consistent scale - the tops are way too big compared to the goblet):

John Lucas told me he got in a competition with another turner to turn the smallest, making tools from sewing needles. He said on the smallest goblets a single pore in the stem would cause it to break!

JKJ