PDA

View Full Version : BOFA and other fume extractors

Chris Adams
04-16-2016, 12:51 AM
Hi Guys, I'm new to the website and have a Speedy 400 and I'm loving it. I'm looking to pick up an indoor fume extraction machine but I'm getting somewhat of a run around on the units from sales people with major commission breath. I'm seeing prices all over the map, like these guys just price them wherever they want.

BOFA quoted me $10,000+ for the AD1500iQ but about a year ago at a show they quoted me way less than that. They also have resellers posting this product online for like $3800 here: https://www.vodex.co.uk/products/fume-and-dust-filtration-systems/laser-marking-and-printing-systems/bofa-ad1500iq

I had heard they were way more affordable than the Trotec Atmos Duo system but I can't reconcile that because the full Atmos Duo setup is like $7500 including the pre-filter system that is self-cleaning, etc.

Any ideas on a good rep or reseller for a Fume Extraction system that works well for a Speedy 400 and isn't trying to get rich on one deal?

At the end of the day these are filters and fans.

Stan Clewett
04-16-2016, 9:41 AM
I can not comment directly on your question, but have you thought about building your own? Here is a thread about what another member came up with:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?143725-DIY-air-filtration-unit-for-lt-200&highlight=Air+filter

Regards, Stan

Chris Adams
04-18-2016, 12:27 AM
Hi Stan, I did think about it but we're doing a lot of rubber and I want to make sure I get a system that's going to get rid of everything because we're running it quite a bit indoors. Thx for the suggestion!

Chris Adams
04-18-2016, 8:25 PM
***READ THIS BEFORE BUYING FUME EXTRACTION***

I just wanted to relay my experience with BOFA for anyone looking to get in contact with their organizations for fume extraction equipment. They were my top pick for fume extraction and I had met a really nice sales rep at a trade show about a year ago before I had a machine. I had heard great things about their systems from Universal, Epilog and Trotec.

I contacted BOFA for a quote on a fume extraction system for a Trotec Speedy 400. The person I was given to was John Podwojski - General Manager according to his email signature. He immediately up-sold me to the AD1500IQ from the AD1000IQ. He sent me a hard copy quote for over $10,000 for the AD15000IQ. I had previously spoken to another sales rep at the company from the prior year and knew that the price for the base unit should be around $4,000. I also found the system at one of their distributors for $3800. When I received the quote for $10,000+ I was confused and pretty bummed because I knew the sales person was going to have a hard time explaining why he was trying to get me to pay so much over the market price for this unit.

When I told John at BOFA he confirmed the following in a return email:

"This company is indeed a distributor for BOFA International in England and they do offer heavily discounted units because of the competition in Europe.
The amount of money they make is very small as this is a 2 man operation that they have to support."

SO WAIT A MINUTE: You are telling me they are a distributor for your company AND they just don't like to make as much money as you do!?!?

I asked him if he would match the distributor pricing as his quote was literally more than double the other price. I politely asked if I could speak to his supervisor in order to get the pricing matched or beat.

I sent him the following email:

"Hi John,

I've got quotes in from TBH, Fumex, Trotec and your original quote.

I was preferential to BOFA based on my conversation with the nice lady I met at the show a year ago but your quote being so high compared to MSRP has put me off.

I'd love for you to re-quote a system or put me in touch with your supervisor to try and get a price match with your distributor."

In response, I received the following email back:

"Reference the pricing, I have already put steps in place to take care of this as it is not the business model we practice nor allow from our distributors.

One final comment, I do not have a supervisor, I am actually a Director and one of the owners of the company.

We wish you the very best in your purchase of an extraction system from our competitors."

SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT.

You are the general manager, sales rep, director AND part owner at BOFA. You already told me that your distributor was a legitimate distributor and that they were offering the unit at a profitable price, albeit discounted to your $10,000 cash grab. Your hand was caught in the cookie jar and rather than admit it and lower your price to a reasonable number you decided to list off your titles and ownership stake in BOFA USA?

I was not trying to bruise any egos. My only goal was to try and purchase a BOFA fume extraction system for the same price they verbally gave me at a show a year prior and that one of their distributors was literally showing ONLINE.

There is a real nice gentleman at another company called TBH (http://www.tbh.eu/us/products.html) that will help you get a system that is just as good as a BOFA for a much more reasonable price. He was nice, honest and courteous. He didn't have anything bad to say about BOFA or Trotec. He just told me that he though his machines stand on their merits.

Send me a PM if you want the TBH reps contact info, or if you feel the need to speak with the owner of BOFA for that matter, he's got a nice fume extraction machine to sell you along with a nice bridge in brooklyn.

Tony Lenkic
04-18-2016, 11:09 PM
Chris, where are you located?

Did you look at other Bofa distributors ? Engraving Concepts would be my go to place.

http://www.bofaamericas.com/distributors.asp

Ivan Shuliak
04-20-2016, 5:07 PM
One of the UK's distributors: https://www.vodex.co.uk/products/fume-and-dust-filtration-systems/laser-marking-and-printing-systems/bofa-ad1000
Price listed there is also identical at another distributor here.
In the UK it is £4050 inc VAT or about $6000.
IQ1000 model is about $5500.

Where're you based?

Dave Hutton
04-22-2016, 10:43 AM
I have a Bofa AD Oracle which is a handy height to put the laptop on, I got this as part of a 'deal' with Epilog and seems to do a great job.

I'm in uk so probably not a great deal of help, but I'm pretty sure the price for it was around about £2k all in, although they (bofa) say they won't sell you one direct if you buying a laser as they want to support the laser suppliers which makes sense.

Oddly enough they are based down the road from me so handy if/when I need to pick up some spares.

DJ

Bill George
04-22-2016, 12:48 PM
Generally find anything you need to call or email for a price Quote its going to be High, that is if you actually get a response.
I can't believe the Sales staff is so busy that emails and phone calls go un-answered for days. Give me Amazon and a shopping Cart please.

Tony Lenkic
04-22-2016, 1:33 PM
Bill,

That will not be the case with Quatro-Air Technology from Montreal Canada. They will respond and provide accurate quote.
There are other manufacturers than Bofa for this type of equipment. Fumex inc is another one.