PDA

View Full Version : Finishing question

Brent Cutshall
04-15-2016, 7:40 PM
Ok, I'm rebelling and posting a finishing question here. ANARCHY! Foolishness aside, does anyone know what that real nice enamel is on the old saw handles is? And can someone advice me on the use of lacquer?

Mike Jungers
04-15-2016, 7:44 PM
Whew, big question. Short answer, on old saw handles what you're looking at is probably a varnish, especially if it has a gold or amber look to it. Lacquer, spray it if at all possible as most lacquers dry so fast you can't keep a wet edge with any other method. Brushing lacquers exist but I think they defeat some of the advantages of lacquer.

Mike

Tom McMahon
04-15-2016, 9:29 PM
I'm no expert on how saw handles were finished, but in general enamel is a hard glossy paint not a clear finish. Prior to world war one most commercial wooden objects were finished with shellac because it dries rapidly compared with old varnishes. Shortly after WWI because of the large surplus of gun cotton nitrocellulose lacquer became the commercial finish of choice, again because of rapid drying. After WWII many other choices became available for commercial use. Some saws may have a varnish finish but because of the long drying time I would guess they would have to be the high end of the market.