PDA

View Full Version : Chainsaw milling minimum powerhead for 24" cherry tree

Silas Smith
04-15-2016, 5:10 PM
Well, I hope this doesn't come across as too ignorant but we all didn't know something until we asked. I've got my cherry tree all cut and ready to go but the location of the trunk really seems to lend it out to a chainsaw mill. It's just not that accessable and I don't have the access to heavy equipment to get it out so it can be properly milled by a bandsaw. It's on a slight incline and in a really nice residential area where all of the houses have about an acre of land that is fully landscaped. I worry I would tear things up and create more damage than its worth.

I have a husqvarna 562xp as my only saw. It is a sweet saw, but at only 60cc, I know it is definately underpowered. That being said, it is a professional saw and not your home depot special. I currently run a 24" bar on it and while cutting down the tree, it powered right through the trunk. I know that it would take a long time and I would have to keep my blade super sharp, but since this is a one time deal, could I get away with a 30" bar and slab this tree out? I think I need a slightly bigger bar than the saw is supposed to run (28") to allow room to mount the mill on the saw.

Am I dreaming that it can get done? I'm cutting at least 2" slabs and I don't anticipate getting more than 8 slabs from the tree.

Lewis Ehrhardt
04-15-2016, 10:48 PM
I'd use a skip tooth chain for the 30 inch bar, you should be fine, just take your time and give it about 90 seconds of running idle b/t slabs, then shut it off to cool some

John TenEyck
04-16-2016, 8:48 PM
Unless you have your heart set on slabs I would take a different tack. I would buy a loop of Oregon ripping chain for your 24" bar. That bar is long enough to mill a 24" log if you rotate it frequently. This will give you the most flat sawn lumber, too, which looks best to me with cherry. But if you want mostly rift and QS lumber, then take one or two boards off opposite sides and then rotate the log 90°. The log will now be narrow enough for you to mill it with your 24" bar. Or you can buy a 28" bar and loop of chain, but I wouldn't go longer than recommended.

Definitely use ripping chain. It will give you smooth lumber and it won't make long spaghetti and jamb up your clutch like regular chain. Your saw is low displacement but it's made to be run hard. Keep your chain super sharp and turn the oil up to full blast. Let the chain feed as it wants to through the wood and when you have to start pushing the saw, stop and resharpen.

Coat the ends of the logs to prevent cracking. Do it yesterday.

Good luck,

John

Steve Reeps
04-21-2016, 12:30 PM
I have a Stihl 440 (70.7 cc) that I have milled hundreds of board feet of lumber with. I had a similar situation to yourself when a 36" oak tree came down in the woods behind my house. I purchased the Logsol timber jig and like John mentioned a ripping chain. I milled that tree to make the most QS material possible so my 24" bar was just fine. The milling is slow going but in the end you will love the results.