PDA

View Full Version : Rotary for ULS V460

Bill George
04-15-2016, 4:23 PM
For some reason in the past month or so I have had several people asking about lasering glasses and mugs. I have been looking for a used rotary and gee new prices are up to $1700! I have some experience in building and working on CNC equipment and have some wiring diagrams and descriptions of my machine and the rotary.

Question: When you install the factory rotary on this 2007 machine, does the controller know the 9 pin connector for the rotary is installed and is there a Homing switch on the rotary that has to work?

The connector has 9 pins and 7 of which are used, 4 for the bipolar NEMA 17 2.2 amp .9 degree motor and 3 more that are called out as Homing? Wondering if at least one of those Homing wires is used to detect the rotary?

Bill George
04-16-2016, 1:00 PM
So I have a rotary on order, no not the $1725 one but a Chinese made one. More than likely made the same place the OEM is only not with a 500% mark up. It does come with a 3 phase instead of 2 phase bipolar one used on the ULS. That will be a simple change out. Also have a DB9 breakout terminal board ordered to verify the signals out of the machine port safely with my Fluke DVM. I am suspecting perhaps I don't need the 3 other pins that are identified in one source as Homing. If the Check Box in the software is checked for the Rotary and a the rotary motor is powered up, simply unplugging the Y motor might work.

Since I don't have access to any pictures of the OEM rotary, pretty much on my own it seems. :)

Matt McCoy
04-16-2016, 1:16 PM
If the Check Box in the software is checked for the Rotary and a the rotary motor is powered up, simply unplugging the Y motor might work.

I think this is all you would need.

Bill George
04-16-2016, 1:21 PM
When I get that terminal breakout for the DB9 connector I hope to confirm. Thanks Matt