PDA

View Full Version : How would you go about making this interior door? Picture included.

John Pond
04-15-2016, 3:13 PM
Considering making an interior door for a bathroom,335789 I don't know if the construction would change because it would be subject to more humidity. But I was hoping someone on here might have an idea on how to go about constructing a similar door, or if there is a info source online where someone could direct me. The simpler the better, as I have never made a door before. Thanks for the help.

Stew Hagerty
04-15-2016, 3:19 PM
I'm thinking that there would be an incredible amout of up & down movement with a glue-up like that. Not to mention warpage, with high bathroom humidity on one side and regular household humidity on the other.

However...

You could make it with a core of something stable and a veneer exterior that looks like that. Very interesting door though!

John TenEyck
04-15-2016, 3:30 PM
I'll bet money that door was made with thick veneer over a stable substrate, and that's how I'd go about making one. It looks like they might have used the same wood as used for the flooring, which would be an interesting approach. I'd probably use make a core out of two layers of Baltic birch plywood with a sold wood edge all around. I'd cut shop sawn veneer and sand it to 1/16", joint the edges straight, and edge glue them into the two panels. Then it would all go into a vacuum bag with Plastic Resin Glue to bond the veneer sheets to the core. Trim, finish, hang.

If they used engineered flooring for the door you would go about it a little differently. You'd glue the floor sections to a stable substrate like BB and then put a narrow edging around that sandwich in order to hide the ends of the flooring.

John

Malcolm McLeod
04-15-2016, 3:43 PM
Call me blind, but the sliver of door showing in the mirror looks smooth - unlike the 'outside'. And the outside looks remarkably like the floor in the hallway....?

Stew's right about warp if done in solid wood and solution being 'veneer'. I'm not sure what he had in mind, but wouldn't go with typical veneers.

Assuming the wood flooring is some type of engineered wood (at least of some better quality than 'wood laminate' flooring), why not simply veneer a standard door with the same flooring. Engineered flooring should give you more dimensional stability than sold wood. And you could laminate both sides, if boss says so. (Regardless of mods to one or both sides, you might have to move door stops, or hinges, or both to deal with added thickness.)

Edit - John beat me to it.

Dave Zellers
04-15-2016, 3:49 PM
I've made exterior doors like that with the other side (exterior side) being 3 wide T&G beaded vertical boards and the interior horizontal boards screwed through the face and bunged. It's simply a board and batten door with solid battens.

NO GLUE ANYWHERE!

You could also make a 3/4" rail and stile door and attach the horizontal boards to one side.

Dave Zellers
04-15-2016, 3:52 PM
Love that sink BTW.

jack duren
04-15-2016, 5:25 PM
Mill lumber down to 1/4 and apply. Same as aromatic cedar in a blanket chest + or - the T&G,,,

Carroll Courtney
04-15-2016, 5:59 PM
I would buy a solid core door then put several pieces of veneer to make it look like individual boards.Keep in mind that what you do to one side you will need to do to the other side.Either the same pattern or one sheet-----Carroll

lowell holmes
04-15-2016, 7:00 PM
I've made interior doors as shown. I made bifolds that were undersized. My doors were made with pine core and birch plywood skins.
If I were making your door, I would favor quarter sawn white oak because it has excellent water resistance. Also, it is straight grain and will hold it's shape.
I use it on all exterior trim. My next preferred wood would be straight grain fir. It is commonly used in doors because of its characteristics. Solid core straight grain fir is acceptable for entrance doors in hurricane building codes. I've used it on the exterior doors of my house. It doesn't warp and it is remarkably stable.

The skins would be your choice. You could use plywood, but if it were my door, I would maybe find some mahogany and make thin panels that you could coat.
On second thought, I might make the core out of mahogany. Mahogany is also used for exterior doors. The mahogany can be spectacular in its color and figure.
I would favor pocket screw joinery for the ladder core.