04-15-2016, 7:09 AM
Now there is another laser engraver similar to the Glowforge
check mr-beam.org
it is being made in Germany.

From their web site

Powerful 5w high efficiency shortwave laser

Bill George
04-15-2016, 9:13 AM
I wonder if they mean 5 Watt diode laser?

Bert Kemp
04-15-2016, 11:33 AM
At least its in a full metal case. It says 5 watt powerful shortwave laser. I wonder what that is. How does that compare to a 80 watt co2 laser.
One thing I'd like to see in the spec's is how thick a material it will cut and how long to do it.

Gary Hair
04-15-2016, 12:49 PM
At least its in a full metal case. It says 5 watt powerful shortwave laser. I wonder what that is. How does that compare to a 80 watt co2 laser.
One thing I'd like to see in the spec's is how thick a material it will cut and how long to do it.

Go to their kickstarter page and you can get all the specs and their material list with thicknesses etc. It's a DIODE, not a tube, and it's 450nm, and it's 5 watt - all that adds up to something that a 3 watt co2 could do... The best thing you could say about it is that it will make Glowforge look really great!

Gary Hair
04-15-2016, 12:51 PM
I wonder if they mean 5 Watt diode laser?

Yep, that's exactly what it is.

Bert Kemp
04-15-2016, 1:56 PM
Thanks Gary after looking it over WHAT A JOKE!!:D ha ha ha ha ha It says start cutting what ever you can think of, oh except wood, metal, glass and anything over 5mm thick. Yes the Glowforge now looks like a real good deal NOT

Lee DeRaud
04-15-2016, 2:14 PM
...except wood, metal, glass and anything over 5mm thick.My eyes must be going bad: I can't see the decimal point before the 5.

Dave Sheldrake
04-15-2016, 3:51 PM
if you consider photon energy alone at 445nm a laser has a photon energy 24x that of a CO2 tube when converted to Watt-seconds. Passed that it all gets funky due to the differences between photothermal and photochemical differences and the close to dreadful beam profile of diode lasers.

Jacob John
04-15-2016, 6:45 PM
if you consider photon energy alone at 445nm a laser has a photon energy 24x that of a CO2 tube when converted to Watt-seconds. Passed that it all gets funky due to the differences between photothermal and photochemical differences and the close to dreadful beam profile of diode lasers.

That may be but this sucker's electrical, and I need a nuclear reaction to generate the 1.21 gigawatts of electricity I need.

Bert Kemp
04-16-2016, 12:39 AM
Hey Doc its all in the flex capacitor