PDA

View Full Version : In defense of edge-trimming planes

Patrick Chase
04-14-2016, 3:00 AM
This is a pseudo-review, pseudo-rant.

A while back I acquired a pair of Veritas edge-trimming planes (http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.aspx?cat=1,41182,48945&p=54862). The conventional wisdom seemed then to be (and still is) that they're just for quickly trimming long grain edges, and not terribly useful overall. I had expectations set accordingly low, but turned out to be completely wrong. These are probably my most frequently used planes other than the core bench planes (jacks, smoothers, and jointers), my low-angle block plane, and my medium shoulder plane. I reach for the RH one often enough that I keep it out on my bench when working.

Probably the biggest thing that people seem to overlook is that the edge trimmers' as-shipped blade configuration (BU, 12 deg bed, 25 deg bevel, 20 deg skew) is ideal for end grain. That's exactly the same cutting geometry as the Veritas Shooting Plane, and the edge trimmers' end-grain performance is comparable. Obviously the edge-trimmers are lighter and therefore require more "muscular help" to power through tough cuts, but even there the weight doesn't tell the whole story because the blade has enough skew (20 deg) to spread out impacts from discontinuities in the workpiece.

I find myself reaching for them in the following circumstances:

- A swipe or two to whenever I'm about to mark end grain. With 25 deg blade bevel the trimmers take very clean end-grain shavings and leave a smooth surface that provides good contrast for knife/pencil lines

- To square and clean up crosscuts. I take a few passes to clean up the surface, check for square, and then take partial passes (starting with just the high/long side and progressively extending to the full width) as needed to true the surface. I'm usually within 0.2 deg of square after the initial cleaning pass, so It doesn't take many partial passes to square the end. After you do it enough you get a feel for how many swipes to take to correct any given amount of angular error, and it ends up being faster than breaking out the shooting board+plane unless there are a lot of pieces to do.

- To trim and true up long grain edges if they're short or straight enough to not require a jointer.

As to the planes themselves: They're about as you'd expect based on the manufacturer. They work well, the PM-V11 blades sharpen and hold up well, etc. Lack of a lateral adjuster means some occasional fiddling, but it's easy to get used to and become efficient at it. The one noteworthy liability is that the soles on these planes couldn't be ground/lapped the same way as other planes, and they consequently didn't come as flat as my other "premium" (LV, L-N) planes. Mine had base-to-fence angles of about 89.5 deg and several mils of warp in the fences as shipped. I corrected mine by lapping them on a 90-deg form with PSA sandpaper stuck to it.

Tony Zaffuto
04-14-2016, 8:07 AM
I have a LN and a LV of the other handing. I used them quite often, for a quick pass, just a scoosh thick shaving. I've checked both with my small Moore & Wright machinist square, and they are both square. If I had to buy one maker over the other, it would be the LV-larger size helps, and I also have the PM-V11 blade, which I would also get again.

Reinis Kanders
04-14-2016, 9:20 AM
Good point. I also occasionally used it for big dado walls when I was building workbench. I use my bench hook as a shooting board so I shoot the edge right after cutting it.

Patrick Chase
04-14-2016, 11:23 AM
\The one noteworthy liability is that the soles on these planes couldn't be ground/lapped the same way as other planes, and they consequently didn't come as flat as my other "premium" (LV, L-N) planes. Mine had base-to-fence angles of about 89.5 deg and several mils of warp in the fences as shipped. I corrected mine by lapping them on a 90-deg form with PSA sandpaper stuck to it.

I should clarify that I never contacted LV about the flatness/squareness of these planes. Based on my experience from other cases where I've called them, I have no doubt they would have found a perfectly flat/square pair of planes and had them on my doorstep within 48 hrs.

I fixed them the way I did because I like to do that sort of thing, not because I had to.

Luke Dupont
04-14-2016, 1:31 PM
Those look rather handy.

Not something I could afford right now, but it seems like you could make one of these yourself with a chisel and a few pieces of wood!

John Sanford
04-14-2016, 8:14 PM
Those look rather handy.

Not something I could afford right now, but it seems like you could make one of these yourself with a chisel and a few pieces of wood!

You can make ANY "simple" plane with a chisel and a few pieces of wood. Whether doing so would be an efficient use of one's time is another question.