PDA

View Full Version : Wood Recycling / Second Hand Wood?

Luke Dupont
04-14-2016, 1:18 AM
I've seen this brought up before, and even came across an episode Paul Sellers did on it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2KvaIHEl8s

Do we have these kind of "Wood Recycle Centers" here in the states? What terminology should I be using to search? I've searched a number of terms, such as "reclaimed wood" / "recycled wood" / "second hand wood," etc. in my area, and haven't come up with anything. I'm in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, for reference.

I did come upon this: http://www.greenecoservices.com/reclaimed-wood-salvage-fsc-timber-ms/
But, none of those phone numbers seem to work. Well, at least, not the Hattiesburg/Biloxi ones when I tried them.

Malcolm Schweizer
04-14-2016, 5:23 AM
Use the search term "reclaimed lumber." That should bring up plenty- much of which will be recycled into hardwood flooring, simply because that is what sells.

Nicholas Lawrence
04-14-2016, 6:12 AM
"Architectural salvage" should get you some results as well.

Derek Cohen
04-14-2016, 6:36 AM
Hi Luke

I work mainly with recycled and reclaimed timbers. There are available here from salvage yards, and from houses being demolished (for 100 years roofs in Perth were framed in Jarrah. Now, of course, they are either pine or steel. The Jarrah is VERY well seasoned .. ie hard). There are also "urban salvage" yards. They cut down trees, or collect trees that have fallen in storms, in the city area. These can provide some wonderful surprises.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Brent Cutshall
04-14-2016, 6:44 AM
I,uh, might be a wood,uh, recycler. You can send your wood to me and I'll be sure to use,er uh, recycle it.:D

Jim Koepke
04-14-2016, 11:41 AM
When we lived in California one of the local architectural salvage operations was called 'Urban Ore.'

Habitat for Humanity stores often have wood salvage.

jtk

Joe A Faulkner
04-14-2016, 8:38 PM
Craig's List in my part of the country frequently will feature lumber reclaimed from barns and/or house demolitions. From time to time, small to medium sized sawmill operators will also post inventory.

Stew Denton
04-14-2016, 9:49 PM
Hi Luke,

If you look on Craigs List, look under "For Sale", and "materials." There is a lot of recycle lumber on the ones I look at.

Unfortunately, quite a bit of it is relatively high priced, but not all of it.

There is also a dump here for grass clippings and trees that have been cut down, that you can haul clippings and tree trimmings, etc. to. Some guys cut haul off some of the tree trunks and limbs for firewood. I think some of it would also be usable for woodworking, after milling and drying.

Stew