PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket switch for Jet 1236

Jamie Straw
04-14-2016, 12:58 AM
I would like to replace my Jet 1236 off/on switch with one that can be moved around, like ones I've seen with the big lathes, magnetic mount. I'm not very knowledgeable about electricity, though I have replaced home outlets and switches, and the switch on my Unisaw. Any insight? Not sure where to start even. TIA!

Ralph Boumenot
04-14-2016, 3:20 PM
Have you looked over at the Grizzly site and see what they have?

Brice Rogers
04-14-2016, 3:41 PM
I did a google search and came up with something from Rockler: http://www.rockler.com/safety-power-tool-switch

This appears to be something that you plug your lathe in to. As such, if you hit the emergency switch it would pull power from your lathe and it would coast to a stop.

If you want to use electronic braking (if you have that in your Jet), then you'll need to wire it into your lathe - - probably in series with your existing switch. I suspect but don't know for sure whether you could rewire the Rockler emergency switch for this application. Probably easier to try another supplier. If you can get at the switch wiring (lathe unplugged) and have a multimeter, check to see whether the switch conducts in the power on or power off condition. If it conducts in the power on position, then wire your external switch in series with the existing switch.

To attach your emergency off switch to the lathe, consider using super magnets.

Jamie Straw
04-14-2016, 7:44 PM
I did a google search and came up with something from Rockler: http://www.rockler.com/safety-power-tool-switch

This appears to be something that you plug your lathe in to. As such, if you hit the emergency switch it would pull power from your lathe and it would coast to a stop.

If you want to use electronic braking (if you have that in your Jet), then you'll need to wire it into your lathe - - probably in series with your existing switch. I suspect but don't know for sure whether you could rewire the Rockler emergency switch for this application. Probably easier to try another supplier. If you can get at the switch wiring (lathe unplugged) and have a multimeter, check to see whether the switch conducts in the power on or power off condition. If it conducts in the power on position, then wire your external switch in series with the existing switch.

To attach your emergency off switch to the lathe, consider using super magnets.

That looks promising, but I have to check my lathe to see if it resets to "Off" when the power is shut down (for instance, in a power outage). I know my table saw does, routers don't. Thanks for the link!

Russell Neyman
04-16-2016, 12:57 PM
Jamie, this is an interesting concept and shouldn't be hard to do: mount the stock switch is a metal exterior outlet box, add a magnet, and cord it through the head opening with a grommet and cover plate. No, your Jet 12-36 does not have an automatic reset feature.