PDA

View Full Version : General 260-1 vs. Rockwell 46-450

Aaron Mills
09-17-2005, 5:40 PM
A used Rockwell 46-450 lathe has been on sale for quite a while in my area, and seems to be quite overpriced ($1950 CDN). The seller is including a 6", 12", and 24" tool rest, 2 sets of drive centres, and 2 sets of 4" and 8" face plates. I'm not sure if Delta is still producing the 46-450 (it doesn't appear in any of their literature or on their website), but the construction/appearance of the 46-450 seems quite similar to the General 260-1 ($4200 CDN, new).

I'm curious what the major differences, if any, are between the two machines. Based on the usual 1/2 price of brand new, give or take given the condition, the 46-450 would seem to be within reason if it is essentially the same machine as the General 260-1. This 46-450 has pretty much been unused since it was purchased, the original paint, the machining on the tool rests and centres all indicate minimal use since its purchase. Here is a pic of a Rockwell 46-450 and pic of the 260-1.

http://www.general.ca/machines/gen/lathes/g_260_26020.jpg

http://www.woodweb.com/exchanges/machinery/images/403971/RWHDLathe.jpg

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Aaron

Jim Becker
09-17-2005, 7:58 PM
The question is...what kind of turning do you want to do? These lathes were designed way back when primarily as spindle lathes, although the can do bowls and vessels within their swing and speed control limits.

Keith Burns
09-17-2005, 8:32 PM
I don't have a clue about the General. I do have the Delta and it is a great heavy lathe. Parts are still available. I don't know the exchange rate but I got mine on ebay for $465.00 US. New bearings and drive belts added $60.00 US. $15.00 for paint and it is like new.

Chris Barton
09-18-2005, 8:45 AM
While old iron can be good iron you have to ask yourself the question, "do I want this old lathe because it will suit my needs" or, "do I want this old lathe because I like collecting and working on old iron?" For very nearly the asking price for this old Rockwell you can get a new PM3520a or get a Jet 1642 and have money let in your pocket for turning tools. However, if you enjoy rehabing old iron the Rockwell may be your cup of tea. What Jim says is also a good point. These elderly lathes were primarily designed and intended for spindle work. Most people want a lathe to turn bowls. Now looking at the picture it would seem that you have enough swing to turn a respectable size bowl. But, what is the lowest RPM it is capable of. I just turned a cherry bowl about 15" in diameter from a chunk of log that was very out of balance. My PM3520a can go from 0-3,000 rpm and it sure was handy to be able to spin at about 100 rpm as I started with that 20 lbs of unbalanced wood.