PDA

View Full Version : SDG On Its Way

Larry Frank
04-13-2016, 7:06 PM
I finally decided on a dust collector and ordered it and it shipped yesterday. I ordered the Super Dust Gorilla and got the 5 hp version. It turns out it was a small increase over the 3 hp version.

I have the needed electrical power in my garage and will run 6" duct into my shop. I am using some metal duct but most will be SDR 35 pipe.

Ole Anderson
04-13-2016, 8:09 PM
Congrats, I am jealous! I am happy with my 2 hp SDG, I can only imagine what the 5 hp will do. I have a 7" main duct on mine and recommend you do that or even go 8" with a 5 hp machine before you reduce down to your 6" SDR 35. I see the inlet on the fan is 8" round.

Patrick Harper
04-15-2016, 11:02 AM
Definitely use bigger pipe. I'm using 8" mains and 6" drops on my 3hp SDG. I've only had it for about a month, but it's very well made. Good decision.

Jim Becker
04-16-2016, 10:14 AM
I agree with the others...getting to 6" farther out makes a lot of sense, but that first x feet of duct coming off the cyclone should match the inlet diameter which is likely either 7" or 8". My 2hp Oneida cyclone has a 7" inlet.

Jesse Busenitz
04-16-2016, 6:57 PM
Haha, looks like you made the right choice by going with the 5hp.... I bought the 3hp as well and now kinda wish I had just shelled out the couple extra hundred and got the 5hp. +1 on going with 8" main trunk.

Larry Frank
04-16-2016, 8:17 PM
I will be using 8" metal duct off of the SDG and through a wall into my shop. There are a couple of turns in that run of 8" metal duct. I will then transition to 6" DSR 35 for the straight runs through my shop. I will also use 6" blast gates and then to 5" flex to my bigger machines.

The SDG is coming on Monday.