PDA

View Full Version : Steel Deck Trailer Questions

Rich Riddle
04-13-2016, 4:48 PM
A trailer sure "pops" a lot when I walk on it. I have a few questions about a steel deck trailer.

1. Should the individual diamond plate decks be welded to each other? If so, with tack welds or continuous welds?
2. Should the frame underside be painted?
3. The wiring only goes to one side of the trailer. Does the other brake connect through the axle?

That is it for now.

Tom M King
04-13-2016, 7:57 PM
for 3. Have someone hold the brake pedal down, and hold a directional compass about halfway up from the hub to the edge of the rim on the questionable side. If the brake magnet is actuating, the needle will snap to a point towards the wheel.

2. I usually get trailer frames that I make hot dipped galvanized, but it sounds like it's too late for that one.

1. depends on what you're going to haul on it. Since it's diamond plate, you probably won't be hauling sand very often.

Scott T Smith
04-13-2016, 11:04 PM
A trailer sure "pops" a lot when I walk on it. I have a few questions about a steel deck trailer.

1. Should the individual diamond plate decks be welded to each other? If so, with tack welds or continuous welds?

TACK WELD SHOULD BE FINE

2. Should the frame underside be painted?

ONLY IF YOU ARE IN AN AREA THAT HAS HEAVY SALT ON THE ROADS; OTHERWISE IT IS NOT USUALLY PAINTED.

3. The wiring only goes to one side of the trailer. Does the other brake connect through the axle? ONLY IF YOU SEE A WIRE ENTERING THE AXLE FROM THE BACKING PLATE ON EACH END. HOWEVER IT IS STANDARD FOR THE WIRING TO GO DOWN ONE SIDE OF THE TRAILER AND FOR THE TWO BRAKES TO BE INTERCONNECTED.

That is it for now.

Answers above in CAPS for ease of reading (not trying to shout!)