PDA

View Full Version : Wavy set on wood cutting saw blades?

Luke Dupont
04-13-2016, 4:16 PM
Just wanted to confirm, but... Wavy tooth sets, such as on hacksaws, are not ideal for straight, accurate cuts in wood, correct?

I wasted my money on two packs of bandsaw blades; 14tpi and 14/18tpi milwaukee blades with which to make bow-saws. Got home, opened the packages, only to find they they have that stupid wavy set on them :mad:

I seem to be really good at buying the wrong thing and wasting money...

Bill Houghton
04-13-2016, 8:49 PM
More than once, I've used a hacksaw when I needed a really, really fine cut in a wood project. Slow as can be, because of the tooth size, but worked fine. Whether a blade with a wavy set and larger teeth would work, I don't know. You've got the blades - if you can't return them, why not experiment, and report your results?

george wilson
04-13-2016, 9:19 PM
Hacksaw blades USED to have each little tooth set,just like wood saws. I have a few Starrett hacksaw blades like that. I don't know their vintage,but they were in a box with blades from about the 40's.

The wavy set was a way to make the blades more cheaply,as usual. I don't think they make good wood cutting blades because the wavy set offers too much friction in the cut,as compared to a true saw setting job. And,the teeth are very small for woodworking. They still WOULD cut wood if you put a little more effort into it.

Patrick Chase
04-13-2016, 10:01 PM
Hacksaw blades USED to have each little tooth set,just like wood saws. I have a few Starrett hacksaw blades like that. I don't know their vintage,but they were in a box with blades from about the 40's.

The wavy set was a way to make the blades more cheaply,as usual. I don't think they make good wood cutting blades because the wavy set offers too much friction in the cut,as compared to a true saw setting job. And,the teeth are very small for woodworking. They still WOULD cut wood if you put a little more effort into it.

Effort and time. lots and lots of time.

Did you see that video that somebody linked a few days ago of a guy cutting DTs with a hacksaw? Even with the video sped up and many cuts/skips it was still horribly slow.