PDA

View Full Version : SCMI 24" Band Saw Questions

Dominic Tirl
04-13-2016, 9:52 AM

Last month purchased an scmi 24" bandsaw that was not well advertised in Craigslist Dallas. There was a man selling a lot of shop equipment from a shop that he closed presumably from being hurt by that very bandsaw. I felt really badly for the guy but it was clear to see that he did take good care of his machines.
There was a small amount of surface rust on almost everything around the guides area, tires were badly worn and the faceplates on the guides were also in need of replacement.

I paid $550 for the saw and didnt think it right to negotiate further on a decent price being offered.

Replaced everything from the receptacle to the motor with a %HP Baldor, single phase compressor motor purchased on ebay shipped for $330, new pulley same size as orginal

New tires, new 5hp starter, 10G wire, 3 new carbide tipped blades and alot of little things that cost almost 70 at my local electrical supply house.

About $10 in various bolts and screws at Lowes, I think three trips in total

I kept the original motor,switch and reassembled so that it could easily be repurposed since I dont have 3ph power at home

I was really scared of that saw but started small and working myself up to bigger cuts. That 5hp motor is really strong and yet to put it through it's paces.

I would appreciate any feedback or comments about this saw. Previous saw was a 14" Jet with riser and 1hp motor, really a great saw and I was able to cut 6" snakewood logs but slower than I need.

The guides and blocks are made by Carter, When I first started the saw there were sparks from one of the guide. I made G10 or phenolic blocks for the guides and they run super cool.
The thrust bearing is steel and can get warm but not enough to heat the blade.

What is this new thing about ceramic guides?

Erik Loza
04-13-2016, 12:16 PM
Just curious. The rpm on that replacement motor the same (or close) to the original one? Never seen anyone replace a BS motor with one from an entirely different application. Thanks for sharing your pics.

Erik

Tom M King
04-13-2016, 4:44 PM
I'm resawing with pretty much the same saw with the Centauro name on it, although I paid fifty bucks more for it than you did. Carter sells individual guide parts if you need something specific, like the thrust bearing. I almost did the same thing, thinking about the same motor you found, but I decided to try a VFD first, and it's working fine. We've run it hours at the time, and the old original motor never even gets warm. I keep a small fan blowing across the heat sink on the VFD.

For resawing on that saw, I can't imagine anyone would need anything any faster cutting, or smoother cutting, that a Woodmaster CT 1" 1.3 TPI. It will make the same resaw cut in three seconds that my Delta 14" with either Resaw King, or Trimaster would make in 20 seconds, and still smoother cutting than either of those.

I'm keeping that saw set up for resawing, and the little saw for everything else.

Chris Padilla
04-13-2016, 4:54 PM
Tom,

On my MM20, I tried out the Woodmaster CT and was never happy with the results. The Trimaster always gave better finish results. It seems most folks are happy with the CT...I'm just not one of them so it gathers dust hanging on the wall. :)

Tom M King
04-13-2016, 5:23 PM
I only have experience with that one 1" 1.3 blade on the 24" saw. If I want a smooth finish, I just feed a little slower. It's almost like dressed lumber. If I push it for speed, it's still better than most. The only Trimaster I had was a 1/2" run on the 14" with riser. It did okay, and plenty good enough for hobby resawing, but never as perfect a finish as the 1.3. That 1" blade can take a LOT of tension.

Rick Fisher
04-15-2016, 1:13 AM
Hey..

I restored one just like that .. mine is a 1987. I would do the math on the motor and pulleys as well and ensure the speed is in the right zone.

Just read Compressor motor.. Mine is 1725 RPM .. I would hope yours is not 3450 .. unless you changed the sheave