PDA

View Full Version : First DT's w/ PC4212

Bill Fellmy
09-17-2005, 5:26 PM
These are the first dovetails (ever) cut with my new PC4212. Two important lessons were learned. First, centering the board should be accomplished using accurate measurements, not just by eye. You can see how the two boards are not exactly flush on the ends with one another because in my eagerness I just estimated center. Secondly, When the second board is inserted to cut the pins, it should be flipped 180* (from the way the grain was in board #1) in order for the grain to match up in the glued up panel. (Presumably because the template is flipped 180* when moving it from the tails position to the pins position.)

One of the questions that I posed earlier was, "Is the PC 4212 capable of cutting DT's on a board wider than 12"?" The answer is yes to that question and I will post a picture after I do one.

I do not have any other dovetail jig experience to compare the PC 4212 to, but overall I found the assembly, instructions, and actual use fairly easy to handle. Glad I learned those two lessons though before starting on my wife's cherry blanket chest.

Lamar Horton
09-17-2005, 7:59 PM
Bill, I just picked up that same jig, and right out of the box and with just two or three tries I had very good results with the half blind template. I haven't had the chance to use it since, but am looking forward to. I do not have any other experience with any other jig either, but I am happy I made this desicion.

I am curious as to how you can cut DTs on wider than 12in boards.

Lamar, and happy with my jig.

Bill Fellmy
09-17-2005, 11:03 PM
Lamar,

Check out the video clip on the PC website at http://www.porter-cable.com/jigs/ under "large project dovetails." The demo shows the template being mounted to a 2" board, making a portable dovetail jig that can be transported to a board wider than 12".

Bill

Jim Fancher
09-17-2005, 11:23 PM
That's the jig I've had my eye on. Santa might have to get it for me.

Lamar Horton
09-17-2005, 11:27 PM
Thanks

Lamar