PDA

View Full Version : 5w LED replacement bulb for flashlight?

Allan Speers
04-12-2016, 8:13 PM
Has anyone tried one of those 5w Cree led replacement bulbs, for a Dewalt, Makita, etc flashlight?

I'd like to have something more robust than the stock xeon bulb, but I don't want a lesser quality wash. I've read very bad things about the 3w replacements, but have not seen any actually videos or pis of the 5w.

Anyone?

Lee Schierer
04-12-2016, 10:34 PM
More important than wattage is the lumen output.

Dan Rude
04-13-2016, 12:07 PM
Only issue I have had with replacement bulbs is they do not perform as well. This is related to the reflector design not being designed for it. Around here the Milwaukee led bulb is about $28 a new m12 or m18 light will run you about $15-20 more. Of course if you do not have one of the newer m12 or m18 systems this is not an option. I like the lanterns the best. Dan

Andrew Pitonyak
04-13-2016, 1:20 PM
I have used replacement bulbs such as these: http://www.amazon.com/LED-UPgrade-Bulb-C-D/dp/B00HF8IR8W
They seemed to work just fine. Usually, the light pattern is different from an LED bulb than in the original bulb.

Note that the linked bub has 55 lumen output. I really like this light (330 Lumen output, yeah, much more light) for about $30

http://www.amazon.com/TerraLUX-TLF-3002AA-OR-LightStar300-Flashlight-Visibility/dp/B004WIWOHI

For $22, you can get the 220 Lumen model
http://www.amazon.com/TerraLUX-TLF-3C2AAEX-LightStar220-Aluminum-Flashlight/dp/B001IMCU66

You can switch between high and low intensity for the light so you are not stuck at the super bright light. When I consider $11 for a new bulb or $22 for a smaller package able to deliver much more light, well, I chose the new light and donate the old one. Well, OK, I did bother to upgrade them, but I prefer to use the smaller lights that produce more light.

Tom M King
04-13-2016, 4:32 PM
I've been ordering the Cree flashlights off ebay for the past several years. Pocket sizes in any lumen amount you want up to 2000. Cheap, and haven't had to throw one away yet

Ben Rivel
04-13-2016, 5:04 PM
I love and own a bunch of Fenix flashlights. Best quality for the price IMO. But I think the OP was referring more to the 18V battery lights from DeWalt & Makita...

Tom M King
04-13-2016, 7:47 PM
I've had great luck with Cree flashlight bulbs. For the replacements they sell for the house, not so much.

Allan Speers
04-13-2016, 11:04 PM
I love and own a bunch of Fenix flashlights. Best quality for the price IMO. But I think the OP was referring more to the 18V battery lights from DeWalt & Makita...

Yep. Only because the stable base makes for a nice portable worklight. You don't get that versatility with something like a Teralux.

I don't want to buy a new Makita, because they are all 24v, and my drills are all 18v. Plus, all the new stuff is Li-ion, and I prefer NiCad, being a part-time user. (The batteries last a lot longer if not used much.)

I dunno why the can't make these LED replacement bulbs with their own little dispersion deflectors. :mad: So simple.

Andrew Pitonyak
04-14-2016, 9:00 AM
I dunno why the can't make these LED replacement bulbs with their own little dispersion deflectors. :mad: So simple.

They do, but then they for sure can only work in a specific light since the reflector must be built for the flashlight.