PDA

View Full Version : General pricing of some tools

jack duren
04-12-2016, 6:34 PM
I originally showed this Craigslist ad at work for a few tools going up for sale. Now there's talk of one bid for all of it.
Some machines we know, some we don't know there new vs used value. So in order to come to some conclusion I thought I'd ask.

What would be the value on some of this tooling that you may have come across on Craigslist,etc? Trying to get some education before a trip up. If you know what it sold new and whats it's going for used I'd appreciate it. Thx Jack

Steve Peterson
04-12-2016, 7:24 PM
People always talk about 50% of the new price as a good starting point for new tools. I would cut it in half again if I were to make an offer on everything. Only include the major power tools in your calculation. Saw blades and misc shop hardware should be thrown in for free.

Wood is negotiable depending on how much they have, but probably between $0.50 and $1 per bd ft.

This is just my opinion. I am curious what others think.

Steve

Tom M King
04-12-2016, 7:40 PM
Most of it is too big for the average hobbyist, but not what a commercial shop would have on the top of their list. Kind of an odd market to try to sell all of it....especially with issues with Delta parts now. A 37" Timesavers would be nice though.

Brian W Smith
04-12-2016, 9:10 PM
This one is a little tough to call Jack.On one hand,looking at the DC parts,we could assume the guy somewhat knew which end was up....so above notation of .50 on the dollar would be relevant.But then there's a cpl other items that indicate the opposite,bringing the horse trading down a few notches.

Depending on the dialog,I'd be in the 30-40 cents on the dollar.But as noted above that would include seller sweetening the deal with tooling.

Bill Orbine
04-12-2016, 9:47 PM
I usually go for .25-.40 on the dollar base on condition.... but it also depends on how bad I need something. There's no warranty. And don't forget to figure in the cost of moving the machinery.

jack duren
04-12-2016, 10:19 PM
It's trying to figure out the going rate on a tool, not so much of a dollar. It's kind of a package deal. For instance how much the jointer normally goes for. Sometimes it's easier to buy a package than piece by piece...

Erik Loza
04-13-2016, 8:46 AM
Most of it is too big for the average hobbyist, but not what a commercial shop would have on the top of their list. Kind of an odd market to try to sell all of it....especially with issues with Delta parts now. A 37" Timesavers would be nice though.

The stuff in the ad is pretty standard fare from what I usually see. I think lots of folks assume that shops have all the latest stuff but in my experience, that's rarely the case. I go into commercial shops all the time who still do it all with a regular cabinet saw and mostly Asian equipment. Or, their big investment is the CNC. We see Altendorfs, Martins, etc. here but those are rare in most shops. It's usually some ancient SCMi slider and edgebander or a bunch of old Delta shapers.

One thing I will say, since I see one in the photos, is about widebelts. On the used market, there are two "nightmare" machines: Widebelts and edgebanders. I was just talking to a friend who is an independent tech and who works on lots of used stuff. He just finished repairing a WB that is of the same brand in those photos (not that it matters, because it's all WB's in general...). The customer bought it at auction for $13K. Just the parts to repair it were $10K and then it was an additional $4K in time and labor. The customer could have bought a new machine! Anyhow, an interesting story and one I hear not infrequently.

Erik

jack duren
04-13-2016, 7:05 PM
The tooling is considered mainly for my area. The beam clamps,Kreg 5100,oscillating sander, smaller tooling are the interest. I mentioned before we sell SCM IN Kansas City.

We have a Powermatic two head sander up for sale and eventually will be going to a beam saw and will sell our slider.We have planer sanders,CNC's for production work...

Davis Young
04-14-2016, 10:01 PM
Hard to tell from the photo the model and vintage but I will take a stab. This will be for the Delta equipment only since I have catalogue/price list from them, circa 2001. Catalogue model number and specs are from the 2001 Delta Industrial Machinery Catalogue. Price list is from AWFS 2001, the suggested list price is as usual pretty meaningless as everybody sold well below it but the show price was quite aggressive as I recall.

Jointer: DJ-30 12" Jointer, 37-360 (3hp 3ph) or 37-361 (3hp 1ph), $4,708 suggested list price/$4,520 show price

Bandsaw: 20" Wood Cutting Bandsaw, 28-640 (2hp 1ph) or 28-641 (2hp 3ph), $2,686 list/$1,953 show

Shaper: Heavy-Duty Wood Shaper, 43-455 (5hp 1ph), $2,275 list/$1,655 show or 43-460 (5hp 3ph), $2,528 list/$1,839 show. The badging on this machine suggest a vintage that is later, possibly c. 2005 or later.

Stock Feeder: 8-Speed 4-Roller, 36-855 (1hp 1ph) or 36-856 (1hp 3ph), $1,263 list/$918 show. Since it's partially obstructed, could also possibly be a 4-Speed 3-Roller, 36-851 (1hp 1ph) or 36-852 (1hp 3ph), $1,010 list/$734 show.

Planer: since it is a back view, I can't tell if it is a 24" planer or DC-580 20" (or even a Delta for that matter) but I will show both. DC-580 20" Planer, 22-450 (5hp 3ph) or 22-451 (5hp 1ph), $4,742 list/$3,448 show. 24" Planer, 22-470 (7-1/2 hp 3ph), $5,293 list/$5,081 show.

I hope these figures will be useful in determining a fair used price.

jack duren
04-15-2016, 5:32 PM
I didn't realize it till today that our maintenance guy who use to sell tooling in Kansas City sold him the KREG 5100jig, So we know where we are at on that tool. I guess they will make the trip up there Monday and see what they want and not.

They may buy nothing or might buy everything. Guess it depends on whether or not the coffee has kicked in by that time;)