PDA

View Full Version : Lathe working height

bob starkey
04-12-2016, 12:35 PM
Lathe working height

I have my little Jet 1221vs setting on an old 60's Delta flare leg tool stand. I have been OK with it but it's a little short not bolted down or long enough for the lathe.
I'm looking at adding a add on Jet bed extension so need to build a sturdy lathe base. I looked at the base for this lathe at Rockler and thought it a little less sturdy then I'm looking for.

One of the things I'm needing to ask is what should the working height of the lathe be?

Don Jarvie
04-12-2016, 1:21 PM
You can get a stand for the lathe from Lee Valley that will fit the lathe. I have the one from Jet that can with the Mini lathe and it's pretty sturdy.

As for height it's what your comfortable with. The Jet stand is adjustable should you consider it.

Dwight Rutherford
04-12-2016, 1:29 PM
Every thing I have seen/read suggests you measure the distance from your elbow to the floor when standing. This distance should be the distance from the floor to the center point of your lathe spindle.

Alan Heffernan
04-12-2016, 2:20 PM
Ditto- elbow height at spindle.

Roger Chandler
04-12-2016, 3:37 PM
Ditto- elbow height at spindle.Which will vary from individual to individual turner depending on their height and arm length......get someone to measure your elbow height, then build your stand from that desired dimension.

Brian Kent
04-12-2016, 3:52 PM
I built my stand so the center is at my elbow height of 46". If anything I would prefer just slightly higher because the only thing that gets tired is the back of my neck as I look down at the turning.

Joe Kaufman
04-12-2016, 7:48 PM
Eyesight and swing of the lathe are other factors to consider. I'm over 70 and I have used several height adjustments. I settled on elbow plus 2.5" for my 12" lathe and elbow height for 20" lathe.

Michael Schneider
04-12-2016, 11:09 PM
You might go elbow height + a couple of inches so you can put a 2" or 3" pad on the floor. A good cushion will make long turning sessions more pleasant.

Happy Turning

Thom Sturgill
04-14-2016, 11:36 AM
Also, it depends on what you turn. A spindle turner might want a different height than a bowl turner as he wants to look down on the spindle. Better to make it a bit high and use pads to adjust. I currently use three of the pads harbour freight sells.