PDA

View Full Version : Office counter fabrication in MA

Steve Braman
04-12-2016, 12:27 PM
Hi everyone,

I have been away for too long to complete home renovation projects. Now all that is on hold with the arrival of a son. This is great news and difficult too. I am now required to complete the build-out of a home office while not able to spend any appreciable time working on it. I was wondering if there was anyone in Massachusetts who might be able to point me in the direction of someone who could glue-up a countertop. The counter needs to be 10'x22"X1.5". We are thinking a lightly stained maple would fit well in the space.

I know this is probably not the right forum for this, but was unsure where it should land.

Thank you for your continued help

John Blazy
04-12-2016, 5:30 PM
Yep, a lot of work, which I assume is why you want it outsourced. Need a T-saw, and a planer after glueup. Maybe just look online for butcherblock maple slabs. Seems like an old bowling lane would work also. Ive known guys to build workbenches from old bowling lanes. If you could find an old bowling lane, you could rent a floor sander to re-surface it, then stain.

Jeff Duncan
04-12-2016, 9:23 PM
Hi Steve, I'd say your best bet cost wise would be if you can find someone with a home shop that can make it up for you to earn a few bucks on the side. If you don't have any luck going that route feel free to PM me and I can get it done for you. My shop's not too far away and that's a pretty straightforward project.

good luck,
JeffD

Bob Latourelle
04-13-2016, 8:24 AM
Try lumber liquidators. I know there is one in Woburn,MA. 11/2 inch x 25 inch x12 ft maple burcher block counter top $360.

Wes Ramsey
04-13-2016, 10:05 AM
Congrats on the son! The time required vs time available gap sounds about right and probably won't improve for several years. Priorities will change, hobbies will lay fallow, and time will either stand still or go unaccounted for. It's hard at first, but rewarding in so many ways. It gets really fun when you can share your passion with your son and teach him about woodworking.

Bill McNiel
04-13-2016, 12:00 PM
Try checking out John Boos & Company. They make really nice butcher block counters using many varieties of wood at pretty reasonable prices.

roger wiegand
04-13-2016, 2:03 PM
Rare Earth Hardwoods in Traverse City, MI made mine, a 4' x 9' x 2" island top in stunning curly maple. It was delivered to my door in the Boston burb's. Great folks to work with, prices were quite reasonable vs local fabricators (truck freight is cheap). I was going to make it, but by the time I priced the lumber and considered the effort involved for a not-very-interesting build, it made a lot more sense just to have them do it. They've also made great birdseye maple flooring for us.

Mike Berrevoets
04-13-2016, 8:06 PM
You can try Michigan maple block. Www.Butcherblock.com they have a retailer list on their website.

if you want an idea of prices you can check out johnsons workbench in Charlotte MI. They have prices listed online. May be higher in MA. I was just in Charlotte to pick up two butcher blocks from them on Saturday.