PDA

View Full Version : How to make inlays in the middle of a large object?

Michael Yadfar
04-11-2016, 8:38 PM
In the past, I've made double bevel inlays on the scroll saw, inlay banding, and even a few on a CNC router. I was thinking of making a trunk as an upcoming project, and wanted to make a shape of something (still yet to be determined) in the middle. For something like a trunk lid, I think it will be too big and too thick for a double bevel inlay on the scroll saw. I also don't have access to a CNC router anymore.

I don't know how practical it is, but I was thinking I can potentially make one with my plunge router. I was thinking put the shape in the lid, rout out the shape to a certain depth, and cut out the shape on a different piece of wood on the scroll saw. I can see this being a big mess though, even with a lot of practice. First of all, there's not too much visibility with a router, and it's hard to control precisely without a fence. Also, making the same shape at separate times will probably make a rough fit.

I was wondering what the technique would be?

Shawn Pixley
04-11-2016, 8:56 PM
You cut your inlay first. Then tape it down with double sided tape tothe substrate. Score around the edge with an X-Acto knife or scapel. After lifting off your inlay, rout out most of the material with a Dremel set up for routing to the proper depth. Carefully clean up to the edge of the score line with a fine bit. Clean the edges with a chisel until it drops in.

Practice on a smaller piece before your real project. On my blog there is a bit more detail.

Jamie Buxton
04-11-2016, 10:17 PM
Do your double-bevel inlay work on a smaller patch. The double-bevel work can be as complex as you want. However, the outline of the patch is something simple, like a circle. Use a template and a router to make the recess to hold the patch. Glue it in.