PDA

View Full Version : My chainsaw walked away last month.

Dave Smith
09-17-2005, 12:09 PM
The Police haven't seen it and I don't expect they will. It is a Stihl 310 with a 24" bar. It is only 4 1/2 years old this month. If you see a Stihl wandering around looking for a home answering that description, I do have a serial number for better identification.

The saw walked away from my garage the Saturday I was at Montanafest. I do have an old Stihl 076 with a 39" bar but that baby is heavy and not very handy for trimming turning blanks. I have been hoping that the saw will turn itself in but after a month my optimism is waning. Since I have been spending all my spare cash bidding on Katrina relief auction items and postage shipping stuff I auctioned, I am going to ask Rich Uncle Visa to buy me a new saw. I figure I can repay him with the stuff I make from the wood I cut with the new saw. Heck I even have two spare 24" chains so I might as well get one with a 24" bar.

Dave Smith

Saving a lot of money with $500 deductible home insurance in Longview, WA.

Lee DeRaud
09-17-2005, 12:34 PM
It might still wander home. Right now, it's probably trying to figure out why it gave up that nice warm garage for the dubious excitement of turning tricks at lumberjack conventions.:eek: :D

Andy Hoyt
09-17-2005, 1:10 PM
So Dave - Will your rich uncle buy you another Stihl 310 or will you opt for something else? My 20 year old 20" Poulan is on it's last breath and am not up to speed on the new stuff, and I think I need to be.

We must be related - I have the same uncle. Looks kinda stretched out and real thin these days, doesn't he?

Keith Nielsen
09-17-2005, 1:33 PM
Dave,

Check your local Pawn shops. Chances are the thief doesn't even know how to run one and just wanted some quick cash. Take your serial # with you and a cell phone to call the police if you find it.

Good luck
Keith

Glenn Hodges
09-17-2005, 2:32 PM
Really sorry, I know how you feel Dave the same thing happened to me. All my life I have wished people would leave my stuff alone, but I now doubt they ever will. I live out in the country and I believe this is now worse than living in town. I just which I could catch them in the act.

Boyd Gathwright
09-17-2005, 10:10 PM
.... Hi Dave,

.... I too had my chainsaw and weed whacker stolen from the back of my truck some years ago. Funny thing, up until then, nothing disappeared until one of the local neighbors got married to a man of questionable character. At that time, we lived on the top of a mountain and had to commute back and forth to work daily. We parked our pickup truck at the bottom of the mountain and transfered over to our car and continued on to work. I had already suspected who the person was and refrained from saying anything. Then other neighbors started pointing their fingers in the same direction for like activities. So, I guess what looks like a duck, walks like a duck and acts like a duck must be a duck, huh! Not very Christian-like is all I can say. As things developed, it was mentioned that the chainsaw and weed whacker most probably ended up at a yard sale and sold for little or nothing on the dollar. Strange how paybacks work, this fellow suddenly developed some sort of heart condition and died a few years back.

.... Hope you have better luck on recovery than I did :).

Boyd

The Police haven't seen it and I don't expect they will. It is a Stihl 310 with a 24" bar. It is only 4 1/2 years old this month. If you see a Stihl wandering around looking for a home answering that description, I do have a serial number for better identification.

The saw walked away from my garage the Saturday I was at Montanafest. I do have an old Stihl 076 with a 39" bar but that baby is heavy and not very handy for trimming turning blanks. I have been hoping that the saw will turn itself in but after a month my optimism is waning. Since I have been spending all my spare cash bidding on Katrina relief auction items and postage shipping stuff I auctioned, I am going to ask Rich Uncle Visa to buy me a new saw. I figure I can repay him with the stuff I make from the wood I cut with the new saw. Heck I even have two spare 24" chains so I might as well get one with a 24" bar.

Dave Smith

Saving a lot of money with $500 deductible home insurance in Longview, WA.

Jason Roehl
09-18-2005, 12:36 PM
Sorry to hear about that, Dave. My garage was a couple grand lighter in tools last year, including a couple chainsaws. I guess the chainsaws going was a blessing in disguise, because now I have a much, much better one. Before, I would have had to work on the saws for about the same amount of time as I actually used them. Now, I just do the usual maintenance on my Husqy (clean, sharpen, oil, fuel), and I can do what used to be a day's worth of cutting in about an hour or so. In fact, just yesterday I cut down two 50' elm trees for some friends--about an hour's worth of actual cutting to turn it into firewood. Setup, cleanup of twigs and tools took 2-3 times as long.

I just hope you have a similar blessing on your way, and that the thief's efforts are continually frustrated.

Ernie Nyvall
09-18-2005, 10:59 PM
Sorry to hear about that, Dave. My garage was a couple grand lighter in tools last year, including a couple chainsaws. I guess the chainsaws going was a blessing in disguise, because now I have a much, much better one. Before, I would have had to work on the saws for about the same amount of time as I actually used them. Now, I just do the usual maintenance on my Husqy (clean, sharpen, oil, fuel), and I can do what used to be a day's worth of cutting in about an hour or so. In fact, just yesterday I cut down two 50' elm trees for some friends--about an hour's worth of actual cutting to turn it into firewood. Setup, cleanup of twigs and tools took 2-3 times as long.

I just hope you have a similar blessing on your way, and that the thief's efforts are continually frustrated.

Soneone is hard up for firewood going after elm... if they are trying to split it with an axe anyway. :)

Sorry about the saw Dave.

Ernie

Jason Roehl
09-18-2005, 11:28 PM
Soneone is hard up for firewood going after elm... if they are trying to split it with an axe anyway. :)

Nah. The two trees were dead, and they didn't want to pay to have them taken down ($500-650 were the unsolicited quotes they were getting). I already had a solid 4 cords split and stacked. I've found that if you split elm very green, it's much easier, but I pretty much always use a borrowed or rented gas/hydraulic splitter anyway.

Ernie Nyvall
09-18-2005, 11:40 PM
Nah. The two trees were dead, and they didn't want to pay to have them taken down ($500-650 were the unsolicited quotes they were getting). I already had a solid 4 cords split and stacked. I've found that if you split elm very green, it's much easier, but I pretty much always use a borrowed or rented gas/hydraulic splitter anyway.

Hmm, I know there are many different kinds of elm and that must be the case here. Once in a while we would cut an elm down for fire wood and we would have to use several wedges and a sledge hammer to split it, because it would bounce an axe past your head. :eek:

Ernie

Carole Valentine
09-18-2005, 11:53 PM
Sounds like our Sweet Gum! LOL

because it would bounce an axe past your head. :eek:

Ernie

Jim Schmoll
09-20-2005, 2:11 AM
I have most of my house trimed in Elm. If it's not all cut up try thinking about milling some, or it turns great.

jim from Idyllwild CA