PDA

View Full Version : Rermote Switch on a Grizzly G632

Jeff Walters
04-11-2016, 6:50 PM
Hi All,

I know some of you have G632's and many of you have the new 766. Is it possible or has anyone tried to add on a remote switch box? I'd like to have an On and Off switch on the right side of the lathe. Also speed control if possible.

Thanks,
Jeff

Brice Rogers
04-11-2016, 8:38 PM
The G0632 and G0766 are wired a bit differently. The 0623 has a center off position on its forward/reverse and the on/emergency-off button is different. Step one is to unplug the 0632.

To wire an emergency off switch, it looks like you put it in series with the white (single) wire from the existing emergency stop switch. To run, both would need to be in the run position.

To wire in a second speed control, you need a way to switch it in and switch it out. The best way would be to get a three-pole double-throw switch. Find the wires going to the existing speed control potentiometer. Mark them and document where they are connected on the potentiometer. This is necessary because it appears that all are the same color - - white. If it was me, I'd use three different colors of sharpie markers and mark both sides of the wires you are going to cut (like Red, blue and black - - and say, have the red one for the left side of the pot, the blue for the center and the black for the right side). You will need to cut all three wires to the potentiometer and run them to your 3PDT switch. There should be nine terminals on the switch. You would run the 3 wires that used to be connected to the speed potentiometer to the centers three terminals (I'm assuming that the switch is a more-or-less standard one) or what some people might call the common terminals. Then you run a set of three wires back to the wiring in the headstock that you had cut off and splice these new wires in. Pay attention to the orientation. It needs to reconnect like it used to. Then run a set of three wires from the new 3PDT switch to the new potentiometer that you mounted in a dustproof box along with the remote kill switch. Before you power things up, you should use an ohmmeter (like a HF digital voltmeter/multimeter) and double check all of the wiring.

If all of this seems very easy, then you can probably get it to work. If some of this seems foreign or uncomfortable to you, then perhaps it is best not to attempt to tackle it. I don't know your particular skill level and aptitude for doing wiring changes.