PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Bandsaw questions

aaron olson
04-11-2016, 5:17 PM
Hello,

I am a pretty new woodworker and have always wanted to bandsaw for various things. I see that grizzly has there 555p on sale for $445.
I am in no hurry for this currently but would like to get one at some point. Initially i had been keeping my eye on the 555lanv only because of some reviews I had read. Is the $80 difference between the 555p and 555lanv worth it? As I mentioned, I am in no hurry for this and is there a time of year lets say like black friday that this might be a better deal if i were to wait? What are peoples opinions about these saws for some general wood working and a first band saw?

Thanks for the help.

Anthony Whitesell
04-11-2016, 6:23 PM
The two differences as they point out are:

G0555p: aluminum wheels and standard fence
G0555LANZ: cast iron wheels and fancier fence

Here is my take. I would not pay extra for the T-square fence. Unlike table saws and circular blades, bandsaw blades have the tendancy to cut with a lead (ie., make a straight cut that is not inline with the front-back edges of the blade). The T-square fence doesn't seem completely appropriate for a bandsaw. On the other hand there is a big difference between the cast iron and aluminum wheels. The cast iron can take more pressure from tensioning and have more mass to assist with cutting. Once spinning, the additional mass and inertia helps reduce some of the load on the motor during the start of the cut and when hitting knots, hard spots, etc.

Would I pay extra for the fence; no. Would I pay extra to upgrade the wheels; yes. How much I don't know. How much are they worth to you? $80? To put another perspective on it, the next 14" with the cast iron wheels is the G0555X at $795 (+$240 also including a larger motor and enclosed stand)

Allan Speers
04-11-2016, 6:45 PM
I agree with Anthony on all points. (and nicely explained. )

To me, it would definitely be worth $80 for the heavier wheels.

aaron olson
04-12-2016, 8:46 AM
Thanks for the responses and i didn't even notice the wheels in the comparison and agree that for the minimal amount it would be worth it. Do either of you own the saw and/or what is your opinion of it? Is just over 600 with shipping the going rate for it or a decent deal in your opinion?

Keith Hankins
04-12-2016, 11:09 AM
I have the griz 17" hd bandsaw and its been a good one, but I'd reccomend you try to find an old BS. go to www.searchtempest.com and search the cl's in your area by zip and willingness to travel. It will be worth it. I've found an old delta for 200 and a walker turner 16" beast for about the same. Worth the weight.

Bill White
04-12-2016, 11:44 AM
My Griz 0555LX has the cast iron wheels and the T square fence. I find both features to be quite an asset.
The guide bearings are a bit "fiddly" to set, but that is a work-around that I'll live with.
The saw is a great value IMO.
Bill

Rod Sheridan
04-12-2016, 11:54 AM
Anthony, to properly compensate for blade lead or drift, the fence isn't moved, the blade tracking is adjusted.

A good fence is great to have on a bandsaw.

I agree with the cast iron wheels.....................Regards, Rod.

Anthony Whitesell
04-12-2016, 12:57 PM
Albeit a bit OT, the manuals say to adjust the fence. It is an interesting method to adjust the tracking. Beyond only the slightest of lead, I'm not sure how you would adjust the blade tracking and keep the teeth and blade in the right spot on the wheel. According to page 61 of the G0513X2 manual, the fence is adjusted.

Rod Sheridan
04-12-2016, 1:22 PM
Yup, there are a lot of incorrect manuals out there..........Rod.

Anthony Whitesell
04-12-2016, 1:29 PM
I will agree that if the blade is not in the correct position on the wheels, the tracking is off, and likely causing a lead problem. But if the blade is in the correct spot on the wheels, then adjusting for lead (especially if the cut heads to the left) is likely to start tearing in to the wheel bands.

Rod Sheridan
04-12-2016, 3:32 PM
Anthony, tracking isn't adjusted that much, there's no issue with tire damage.

The reason adjusting that adjusting the fence is incorrect is that then your mitre gauge slot is out adjustment and the saw then can't crosscut.

I'm not sure where the fence adjustment method came from, on a mill you wouldn't start moving the carriage tracks around to make the mill saw straight. Same for a small saw, you set the saw up properly and never adjust the fence or table again.

regards, Rod.

Anthony Whitesell
04-12-2016, 4:10 PM
I can only reiterate what I have been stated here at the 'creek and what is in the manual. As far as I can recall, this is the first time I have heard it suggested to adjust the tracking instead of the fence. The bandsaw manual says that if more than the set of the tooth rides on the wheel band, then excessive wear of the band may occur where the tooth contacts the band. On the sawmill, that is irrelevant as the wheel band is not wide enough to contact more than the solid back of the blade. The bottom of the gullet is just at the edge of the wheel band. Honestly, I have never had a lead problem on my Grizzly Bandsaw nor a problem cutting straight my Woodmizer Sawmill. I just follow what the manual says and everything works great.

M Toupin
04-12-2016, 5:52 PM
Resistance is futile Rod, just accept it...

All the bandsaws in the world mysteriously started "drifting" about 15 years ago. On the up side about that time some smart guy figured out how to make a lot $$$ selling "adjustable" fences and the world is all good again. ;)

Mike

I'm not sure where the fence adjustment method came from, on a mill you wouldn't start moving the carriage tracks around to make the mill saw straight. Same for a small saw, you set the saw up properly and never adjust the fence or table again.

regards, Rod.

Rod Sheridan
04-13-2016, 8:41 AM
Resistance is futile Rod, just accept it...

All the bandsaws in the world mysteriously started "drifting" about 15 years ago. On the up side about that time some smart guy figured out how to make a lot $$$ selling "adjustable" fences and the world is all good again. ;)

Mike

Thanks Mike, I'm working on accepting the world as it is now, thanks for the advice :-) Regards, Rod.

Jim Tabor
04-13-2016, 11:15 AM
I think if you try to order a G0555P (or G0513P) you will find it to be a non-issue, all sold out. Jim