PDA

View Full Version : question for large cyclone owners

Marc Spagnuolo
09-17-2005, 11:48 AM
Hey guys. Just curious what method you use to turn on your cyclone? (other than manually). I used to use the Long Ranger remote system, but now that I am stepping up to a 5HP unit, I believe I will even be exceeding the limits of their 220v (15a) unit. Are there any other remotes on the market? I could use the Automater, but since my tools are on more than one circuit, things could get messy. Thanks for the help.

marc

Jim Becker
09-17-2005, 12:27 PM
Marc, I use a contactor to contol the 240v power to the cyclone. The advantage of this is that you can use whatever form of lower voltage "control" system you want without worrying about what the cyclone motor needs to be supplied with, ranging from a simple 120v switch centrally located in the shop like I use all the way to a very inexpensive wireless remote from the discount store. I got this idea from Dennis Peacock...pics of my setup in this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=12965&highlight=contactor) here at SMC. There is a link to Dennis' original article in that thread, too.

Jim O'Dell
09-17-2005, 1:06 PM
I was going to point toward Dennis' write up, also. I've got to do some research for myself on this issue...seems like Bob Dodge, or someone else, had some other good information when Frank Pellow was wiring his up. I think I want to do Dennis' contactor set up, but with a couple switches around the shop to energize it instead of the remote. I'm afraid I'll lose the remote. Jim.

Marc Spagnuolo
09-17-2005, 2:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I definitely think I will take this route. Does this contactor look ok? I am not familiar with electrical component brands. Price seems ok.

http://cgi.ebay.com/45GG20AF-Furnas-Contactor-40A-2-Pole-120V-Coil_W0QQitemZ7508274151QQcategoryZ42895QQssPageNa meZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

lou sansone
09-17-2005, 7:19 PM
hi marc

that contactor will work, but it is not really a "motor starter" I use a 3 phase knife switch for my cyclone, but I really should install a decent motor starter with low voltage, overcurrent and single phase protection. For you application you should be looking at a true motor starter if that is the route you want to go. You can find them on ebay all the time or buy them new.

lou

Jim Becker
09-17-2005, 7:41 PM
I bought mine at a local electrical supply for probably what an EBay buy plus shipping would cost...

Chris Rosenberger
09-18-2005, 12:03 AM
I use a magnetic motor starter with remote push buttons on mine. I have 9 remote push buttons spaced around the shop. I bought the starter from Wilke.
http://www.wilkemachinery.com/default.tpl?action=full&cart=1072389150317517&id=38&--woSECTIONSdatarq=38&--SECTIONSword=ww&--eqskudatarq=6643

JayStPeter
09-18-2005, 8:31 AM
I use a power contactor. I bought two on ebay, one for the cyclone and one for the compressor. Out of curiosity I asked how much at my local electrical supply place. I didn't really save much.
I use my old 110V Long Ranger as the switch because it was basically free. I wired a three way switch for the compressor so I can turn it on from the garage or shop.

Jay