PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Pricing

James Pena
04-11-2016, 4:19 PM
I am looking to get an opinion on what would be fair pricing for laser engraving work. I have considered getting my own machine but want to engrave on basic materials like wood, acrylic, cardstock paper, aluminum, etc. An option is obviously to sub it out, but many local places dont seem to have a clear cut way to price things. How do you guys generally price things out? Do you charge per hour on the laser? This is all assuming that the art is prepared and materials are supplied.

Also, if anyone here happens to be in the Orlando, FL area I would love to talk to you about doing this kind of work.

Ross Moshinsky
04-11-2016, 4:45 PM
There is no one way to price. We have several pricing models and apply which one works for the job at hand.

1. Price per area
2. Price per minute
3. Price per type of job
4. Price per line
5. Price per character
6. Price based on markup
7. Price based on market

I'm probably forgetting a few different ones. At the end of the day, if I'm unsure of a price, I look up what the market is charging and run a basic cost analysis (How much does it cost? How much time will it take?) and see if I can live with the market price. If I can, I charge market value. If I can't, I price it where I can live with it and if I get the job, great. If not, who cares? It wasn't profitable otherwise.

Mike Null
04-11-2016, 5:15 PM
There are just too many variables to offer a standardized pricing plan. After 19 years one would think I'd know enough to ask a few simple questions before I quoted pricing but just this week I quoted a fairly large order of gaskets using material supplied to me. I assumed it would be flat, instead it came in tight rolls. When you get your laser you will soon find out how important flat is. In any event, I have to heat press the rolls to get them flat enough to cut. That will take at least 10 minutes per sheet if not longer. I am hoping the customer will give me a little leeway here but if he doesn't I am stuck with my quote for this job.

Jeff Body
04-11-2016, 6:53 PM
Hey James,

I'm about 40 min north of you in Tavares. I'd be happy to do some work for you.

As far as pricing I'm with the other guys here. There's lots of variables so I figure my pricing out with the job at hand.
My pricing is mostly based on setup time, laser time, material fees.

Bert Kemp
04-12-2016, 10:04 AM
If you do a search of the forum , you'll find 100's of posts about pricing all of which will tell you the same thing there is no set way to price , its pretty much job by job.

John Blazy
04-12-2016, 11:14 AM
I feel your pain mike. At least 80% of the time, a job has an unforeseen issue that even 20 year veterans miss. An old contractor once told me to use the 75% HV&U quotient in pricing jobs.

You figure the total cost - materials, labor, market value, etc. then add 75% to that total for Hiddens, Variables and Unforeseens.

I often add about 20% just for negotiating, so that when clients chew me down, they chew me down to a price I can live with, and they feel they got a deal.

Clark Pace
04-13-2016, 2:59 PM
I feel your pain mike. At least 80% of the time, a job has an unforeseen issue that even 20 year veterans miss. An old contractor once told me to use the 75% HV&U quotient in pricing jobs.

You figure the total cost - materials, labor, market value, etc. then add 75% to that total for Hiddens, Variables and Unforeseens.

I often add about 20% just for negotiating, so that when clients chew me down, they chew me down to a price I can live with, and they feel they got a deal.

I'm currenty am also working on what seemed like a simple job has turned into frustration. Unforseen problems do arise.

Bump, there are man variables such as perhaps my laser cuts or engraves faster or slower then others.

Mark Sipes
04-13-2016, 3:08 PM
You failed to mention the "Transport Factor".... If a customer arrives in a new Mercedes, BMW, Cadillac, etc. my laser/engraving fees are doubled to start. LOL