PDA

View Full Version : Good wattage for 1/4" acrylic ?

Stan Clewett
04-11-2016, 12:50 PM
Hi Folks.
First time poster. Looking to expand my small business and will be working with acrylic. No bigger then 1/4". Wondering what a "good" wattage laser would be for this. I have been speaking with the "big 3" and am looking at the 60-80 watt range currently.

I know there are different types of acrylic, is one better then the other for cutting and engraving with a laser?

Thanks, Stan

Gary Hair
04-11-2016, 1:42 PM
You can cut 1/4" acrylic with 20 watts, 60-80 can cut at least 1/2" - single pass that is. Cast rasters nicer than extruded and extruded vectors nicer than cast, although you can vector cast just fine. You didn't ask, but any of the "big 3" will do just fine on something as simple as acrylic. Look for the one that will support you the best when you need it. (hint: Trotec)

Stan Clewett
04-11-2016, 2:10 PM
Thanks for the input. I would rather have too much laser then not enough. I want to be able to grow into the laser, not out grow it and have to spend more money to get the "right" tool.

I have been leaning towards Trotec, though the price I have been quoted is about $10K more then the comparable UL or Epilog. I would have to hustle up a LOT of new work to cover the coast of any laser I decide on. Still in that, "not sure what I should do" stage of things. I do know I NEED a good write off. Paid about 2/3 the cost of a good laser in taxes this last year.

Take care, Stan

Mike Null
04-11-2016, 2:23 PM
The 179 tax credit is law for 2016 so, assuming you are a business, you can fully deduct the cost of your new laser.

If I were buying a new machine this year, and I hope to be, it will be an 80 watt Trotec. But I can cut 1/4" acrylic with my 45 watt machine.

Gary Hair
04-11-2016, 2:38 PM
I have been leaning towards Trotec, though the price I have been quoted is about $10K more then the comparable UL or Epilog

You can negotiate a much better price that will put the Trotec within just a few thou of the others, you just need to find the right sales rep that wants your business! I won't share my price, not even privately, but I can assure you that I didn't pay much of a premium to get my Trotec.

Ross Moshinsky
04-11-2016, 3:13 PM
For 1/4" acrylic, I wouldn't get anything less than 60W. I would also look into a Chinese laser. It's hard to beat their power to size ratio when cutting. For ~$10k you can get a 100w+ laser that's 48"x36". Hard to beat those numbers.

Stan Clewett
04-11-2016, 3:41 PM
Thank you for all the comments folks.

As for a Chinese laser....no thank you. I understand the price point, but I truly believe in NOT supporting anything from
that country. Not to go on a rant, but I go out of my way daily to not buy Chicon products...and yes...I do NOT shop at Walmart. Ever.

Hi Gary. Yes, I plan on counter offering the quote I received from my Trotec rep...but only when I am truly ready to buy one. If it works out it was emmet to be. If not then I will go with another company.

take care, Stan

Bill George
04-11-2016, 6:32 PM
Stan, I got an older ULS (made in USA) that was refurbished by the dealer. He replaced all the moving parts, and motors, but I had to do the clean up. 50 Watt machine tests out at over 60. You might be able to cut 1/4 inch acrylic with a 20 watt machine, but he did not tell you how many passes and how long each cut took. Like Ross above I say 50 - 60 watts, I cut 1/4 inch one pass at a pretty decent speed, ( don't remember the settings) with 100% power.

Stan Clewett
04-11-2016, 6:47 PM
Hi Bill.
I am looking at a 60-80 watt. And leaning more towards the 80 watt model.

I asked one company about a refurbished unit, but they said I would have to get on a waiting list as they sell them very quickly.

Take care, Stan

Gary Hair
04-11-2016, 6:52 PM
You might be able to cut 1/4 inch acrylic with a 20 watt machine, but he did not tell you how many passes and how long each cut took.

I was just making a point that you can do it, not about how long it might take - I guess I should have added that in. My 30 watt Explorer did a fine job cutting 1/4" and I have a piece of 1/2" that I cut with it as well. Granted, it was at 100% power and the slowest possible speed, but, the point is that it did it in a single pass! My 80 watt Trotec cuts it like butter in a fraction of the time, in fact, it will cut 1/2" mdf faster than 30 watts cut 1/4" acrylic.

Clark Pace
04-13-2016, 9:25 AM
Thank you for all the comments folks.

As for a Chinese laser....no thank you. I understand the price point, but I truly believe in NOT supporting anything from
that country. Not to go on a rant, but I go out of my way daily to not buy Chicon products...and yes...I do NOT shop at Walmart. Ever.

Hi Gary. Yes, I plan on counter offering the quote I received from my Trotec rep...but only when I am truly ready to buy one. If it works out it was emmet to be. If not then I will go with another company.

take care, Stan

I would be interested on how far you go on that. Do you check every label on items you buy? Do you check every msds? Even in the laser world a lot of the acrylic, marble is from China. In my opinion it would be very hard not to be totally China free in all aspects of ones life. I would be very impressed. Walmart is not the only one who sells China products. I would not besurprised if trotec had one or two parts in it from China.

Stan Clewett
04-13-2016, 10:12 AM
Your right....in this day and age it is almost impossible to be "China free". But I will not go out of my way to intentionally buy a Chinese made product.

It amazes me that ANYONE who is in business for themselves does not understand the "Walmart mentality" and would support it.
Most folks love to get cheap "stuff" when they are buying. But then expect top dollar when they are selling their product. But now everyone expects to get that good ol Walmart pricing. Get it?

Will my little stand against the decline of our once great industrial country make any kind of difference? Nope, but I do have my values and am old fashion and have fought for this country, so I feel I have earned the right to my point of view and refuse to be PC.

take care, Stan

Bill George
04-13-2016, 6:44 PM
Stan I wish everyone thought your way. Plus the companies moving jobs to China and Mexico. No they are not taking our jobs, Corp America is sending them our jobs. I try to avoid Walmart whenever I can, and pay a little more to support local stores. Thanks for your service to our country.

Mark Sipes
04-13-2016, 7:25 PM
Surprising no one has asked what table size you need, not today..but in 5 years....Laser size also.......for the near future

Full Sectrum has a 12" x 20" http://fslaser.com/Products/Lasers 90 W.

Bill George
04-13-2016, 7:55 PM
Surprising no one has asked what table size you need, not today..but in 5 years....Laser size also.......for the near future

Full Sectrum has a 12" x 20" http://fslaser.com/Products/Lasers 90 W.

Heck a true 90 watt tube has to be how long and I am assuming a glass tube?

Mark Sipes
04-13-2016, 8:05 PM
You Got Me, I own Trotec

H-Series H-Series 5th Gen CO2 Desktop Laser
/w Removable Floor

40w/45w/90w options
True 20"x12" cutting area
40/45w: Cuts up to 1/4" plastic/wood
90w: Cuts up to 1/2" plastic/wood

Stan Clewett
04-13-2016, 8:23 PM
I am looking for around 20x30 working area. As stated above, I am looking for a machine that I do not outgrow in a year or two.

Rich Harman
04-13-2016, 8:46 PM
It amazes me that ANYONE who is in business for themselves does not understand the "Walmart mentality" and would support it.

I did some work for a company that makes a machine that a few of you here own. They made money hand over fist for the owners - very little trickled down to the employees. Then they saw an opportunity to make more money for the owners by outsourcing their CNC work to China, taking jobs away from people in the US. The result was quality problems, frustrated engineers and customers complaining - but more money to the owners so they keep doing it.

These same owners have no problems shopping at Walmart.

I make a point to buy US made products, or at least non China-made things. But no one makes a large laser in the US for a price even remotely competitive with the Chinese. I'm not going to spend more than ten times the money just to say I have a US made machine.

Having insight with how at least one company prices their machines helps in my decision making process. They could have cut their prices in half (or more) and still made money for the owners.