PDA

View Full Version : Designing Sycamore Boxes

John Motzi
09-17-2005, 6:56 AM
I would like to construct some small boxes (9 x 4 x 4 or 9 x 5.5 x 3.5) from a really nice piece of figured english sycamore. I intend to saw the lid from the completed box sides after glue-up. I am stuck on what to use for the panel in the lid:

1. Same wood as sides
2. Different wood than side but similar color (light wood)
3. Different wood than sides, contrasting color (dark wood)

What are your suggestions for wood species for the lid panel?

Thanks,

JM

Lee DeRaud
09-17-2005, 10:25 AM
Speaking as someone who has yet to make two boxes with the same combination of woods, I'd say "all of the above".:cool:

The only thing I'd be careful to avoid is highly-figured wood on the sides and highly-figured wood of a different species on the top: tends to get too "busy". Just like clothes: don't mix plaids and polkadots unless you're trying to make a particular, um, statement.:eek:

Bert Johansen
10-13-2005, 5:06 PM
Depends on how you finish the Sycamore. I build a box from tiger maple for a gift recently, and finished it with clear lacquer for a very light color. I chose mahogany for the top panel, and created a thin cocobolo inlay surrounding the mahogany. I finished the panel with shellac to give it a warmer tone. Worked nicely, I think. (I'm currently at work and don't have photos on this computer, but I'll try to send a photo from home later.)

Bert

Bert Johansen
10-13-2005, 7:01 PM
Here is a picture of the tiger maple/mahogany box.

Bert