PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
04-10-2016, 11:48 PM
11 Apr 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
Getting ready for storms and rain here, but at least the temps are nice.
A buddy at work took me fishing a few days ago. I hadn't been fishing in almost 20 years. Really enjoyed being on the water again and fishing like I did a long time ago. I forgot how much I enjoyed fishing.
The LOML had me in the yard helping her this weekend. We reworked the front flower beds, got the garden done, and finished all the planned flower beds. I setup drip irrigation in the MIL's raised garden spot and she's happy about that. The LOML and I are still working out at the local gym 3 times a week. I've lost almost 30 pounds and my old arthritic joints are so much better and near pain free now.

Shop time is coming this week....so here's to good times in the shop!

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Frederick Skelly
04-11-2016, 6:46 AM
Made a new scratch stock and several beading cutters. The cutters came out really sharp and the beading looks great - certainly as good as whhat comes off my tailed router.

Mike Ontko
04-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Still trying to get a step up on the yardwork, beating back the weeds before they completely claim the garden and lawn. Consequently, my bookcase project has been sitting idle.

The garden, or our own deer playland as I like to call it, is all ready for planting and should remain weed free for at least the next two weeks.

Charles Taylor
04-11-2016, 11:09 AM
Grouted the new fireplace tile with my wife's help.

Watched the youngest girl's softball game.

Added dust collection fittings and oil reservoirs to my jointer. The machine has Babbitt bearings, and the original oil reservoirs have been gone since long before I owned it. The previous owner, and I for nearly a year, would simply remove the upper plug and put a few drops of oil in the hole before running the jointer, assuming that would be good enough.

Fixed a shelf in the freezer that fit poorly--too narrow by about 3/8"--and would often fall. Used plywood to span the distance and support the shelf from underneath. Just a temporary patch while we wait for the compressor to finally give up the ghost, and then we'll replace the whole thing.

Cody Colston
04-11-2016, 11:55 AM
I completed a combo cabinet to go in our poolside cabana...towel holder, serving cart and a place to park a margarita machine. :D

I also cut down a dying Hickory and got three 8 1/2' sawlogs from it. I'll saw them when the weather clears. We are expecting T-storms today, too.

I also watched Jordan Spieth blow up at the Masters and the Texas Rangers waste a good outing by Martin Perez while sipping adult beverages in the cabana. :confused:

Brian Akers
04-11-2016, 12:30 PM
335524 Finished these up this weekend.

roger wiegand
04-11-2016, 12:39 PM
Did battle with the curmudgeons, blowhards, mean-spirited, time-wasters, and the rest of those with nothing better to do than obstruct the work of the town at Annual Town Meeting. Some of the rest of us have to show up, lest they get to run the place. Heck of a way to spend a beautiful day. Another 2-3 evenings this week yet to go. Keep repeating, I love participatory democracy...

Did get a couple frames assembled for signboards for my fair organ trailer. Painting and gilding in odd moments this week, I hope.

Tom M King
04-11-2016, 5:26 PM
Fastest sailboarding in years on Saturday. I don't remember the last time I used a 3.5 sail.

Gary Cunningham
04-11-2016, 7:12 PM
Worked Saturday, again, which is supposed to be my day off. :-(
Sunday we went out to celebrate my parents 58th wedding anniversary. :-)

Tom M King
04-11-2016, 7:51 PM
Next weekend will be a big one here. My Mother will be celebrating her 100th Birthday, and will be having an open house at her house. She lives a few hundred yards from us, and of course we'll help, but she'll be doing the entertaining. She's expecting some small number of hundreds of people, and it's taking a small cast of good cooks to prepare all week.

Jim Becker
04-11-2016, 9:12 PM
It was an odds and ends weekend...finished (literally) and installed some trim work between the great room and the kitchen dining area that I had been meaning to do for, um...err...well...since, oh...2008 when the addition was put on the house. (The honey-doo list is longer than my arm I guess) I also installed a new lighting assembly over our kitchen dining table, helped Professor Dr. SWMBO with her honeybees (which arrived on Friday from Georgia) and prepared our taxes, both for the joint return and for our two daughters who have part-time jobs.

This would be the trim work. I did all the fitting prior to finishing because "nothing is square" when you're dealing with an older home and barn wood walls. It's just pine, milled in the shop for the double bead design we have in the house and finished in a typical way for me to get the color I wanted--water soluble dye, Minwax Gunstock stain flooded and wiped off, shellac and two coats of water borne clear. (simply Polycrylic in this case brushed on) This pine that matches the rest of the newer trim replaces some yucky barn wood trim around two doorways.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/IMG_7466_zpsxbqjswtv.jpg

And yes, we have some hot bee action...Professor Dr SWMBO was checking on the queen who is still "confined" while the colony gets used to her.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v646/a-j-adopt/BeeKeeping/DSC_0590_zpsuz2tskhp.jpg

John Sanford
04-12-2016, 2:56 PM
Spent Saturday checking out our local Woodcraft's new digs. They moved a couple miles, to a larger location with supposedly better parking. Their old location was in a center with not one, not two, but THREE call centers, so apparently parking was beyond dodgy during the week. In addition to checking them out, I spent most of Saturday decompressing from my 3 day turning class at Craft Supplies USA.

On Sunday I worked on a storage unit that goes under the rear slab of my split top Roubo. I recommend insuring that the final sizing cuts be done before proceeding to glue up/assembly. Otherwise, one may have to disassemble.... DAMHIKT.

Rod Sheridan
04-12-2016, 3:38 PM
Looks nice Brian, what kind of wood are they made from?.................Regards, Rod.